Holiday advice

I have come to the conclusion I am powerless when it comes to drinking and drugging. I hit a bottom on Sunday that I never want to feel again.
I am not ready to admit it to the people around me. I am very scared to say it out loud. I also have had a few sober stints that ended up unsuccessful so I don’t want to make the same mistakes.

With the next week or two being very social with get togethers, I need a little bit of advice how to navigate successfully.
Part of me wants to cancel all my plans and hide away a little while longer but I do not want to disappoint those I have plans with.

Thank you all.

8 Likes

Preparation is everything. Get an idea of what you will order. Be proactive about keeping a non-alcoholic drink in your hand. Making an early exit is good, using the excuse or even actually having something to do the next day.

1 Like

Honestly I recommend canceling your plans. Or changing them. Meet friends midday for coffee instead of dinner and cocktails. But if it’s parties, I just wouldn’t go. The short term disappointment is much better than long term regrets.

YOU CAN DO IT!!

9 Likes

I am a proponent of canceling social events when newly sober. Your sobriety is worth more than their disappointment.

4 Likes

I would go with your gut and cancel. As you get some sober time under your belt, you will stop worrying about disappointing others. Protect your sobriety with all that you have.

3 Likes

Here’s a discussion on this topic. TLDR - protect your sobriety fiercely.

3 Likes

Pass on those engagements…its time to find new ways to celebrate, new ways to live.

3 Likes