Holiday loneliness

As the holidays are coming up I always feel alone. Now that I’m sober and not partying. I feel it more then ever. Went to a wedding last weekend. First one I’ve ever attended sober. Not easy to do. Now that thanksgiving is around the corner. Wish I didnt burn all those bridges with friends and family. I wish that people would see the progress that I have made and let me right my wrongs. :cry: Anyone else have this problem.

7 Likes

Sounds like a perfect time to rebuild some bridges pal.

In my 22 months of sobriety experience, I’ve found that there isn’t a wrong I’ve done that can’t be righted.

Reach out, even if it feels like they’re reluctant to have you, go, be merry, learn how to live and socialize while being sober.

No one runs before they walk and no one walks before they can sit up. Patience patience patience, do things that you’re not really comfortable doing because comfort is the enemy of progress.

7 Likes

How long have you been sober? It will take many moons to undo the wreckage, damage and pain you may have inflicted on them. Have you tried AA? That’s a great path many have taken to remain sober, meet like minded people and regain life skills. Have you a relationship with God? There are many great local church’s that are filled with great and loving people to meet. For me, it’s Christ. I am never alone and He knows each of us by name,knows our hurts, past present and future and loves us beyond what our minds can comprehend. Sermon Audio has tons of free resources to seek the Lord. I hope and pray you will find peace on your journey.

3 Likes

AA has dances at xmas and new year great to let your hair down i usualy get my kilt on and enjoy myself sober have done for years

5 Likes

Pictures or it didn’t happen!

4 Likes

Honestly, I enjoy my extra time off doing whatever I want to do. I’ve never been a fan of the holidays, a lot of stupid childhood memories that can’t be changed. Or adult memories of a partner dragging me to do shit I didn’t want to do. Now it’s like personal vacation time. When I get sad I turn my thoughts around.

Read @Ray_M_C_Laren’s post and truly absorb it. There are so many new and different things you can do during the holidays that aren’t drunken things, or emotionally hard things.

2 Likes

12 Likes

me andDANCE Sheila at a dance

12 Likes

That’s it, I’m coming to Scotland and partying with you for the holidays!

3 Likes

Very handsome sir!

2 Likes

It is a very sad and lonely time of year for me, and many.
Also very happy time for others.
Seeing your pictures Ray has cheered me up :grin:
I’m making the best of it, pushing through.

Have the tree up, had food delivered earlier. Just by myself and thinking of those who are missing who should be here.
Slightly disappointed with family for being divided and not getting together the past 2 years like we always have.
Movies and some food and a good sleep should help.
Any one else feeling lonely this time of year, we can get through this !

11 Likes

Sending some love your way Twizzle!! :two_hearts: :people_hugging: Family can be complicated for sure.

So many expectations on the holiday. Sigh. Not my favorite.

:heart::heart::heart::heart:

5 Likes

Happy Christmas Twizz.
I’m grateful I got my wife and pets. But it is still a lonely holiday feeling when there is no family around. Sometimes it’s just another day. I too am grateful I got my tree up. My wife has made dinner reservations for tomorrow and Christmas Eve. So we aren’t even planning a meal.

But I am planning to make my first apple crumble with a British custard in the next day or 2. I miss your beautiful city. Hopefully you can get out and enjoy some lights and a walk with Polly. I hope to continue to see you around the forum.
:pray:t2::christmas_tree::heart:

6 Likes

much love to you Twizzle :heart: I am sorry about your family dynamic. The holidays can be such a hard time. Sending you love and comfort. :people_hugging:

Movies and some good food sounds lovely. What movies are you planning to watch? Maybe we can watch them together :wink:

3 Likes

oh this sounds lovely Eric – looking forward to seeing the pictures :yum:

1 Like

Thank you @SassyRocks @Dazercat :blush:

Happy Christmas and new year to you both :tada:

I’m so gratefull I do have the pets with me, and if it wasn’t for Polly, I wouldn’t even get out. Even when I really don’t want to go out I have to. And it makes such a difference each time.
I have kept putting on my online food shop a alcoholi bottle of drink, then I took it out and put it back and took it out. And I realised I don’t actually want a drink, I just don’t know how to regulate my feelings - Happy or sad :laughing:
I’m grateful I made the effort that I have as I wasn’t going to do a thing. And although there is that empty sadness, there is also alot to be grateful and happy for - its these moments I will really embrace.
I enjoy the cooking it keeps me busy.

I managed last Xmas, and the cravings aren’t as bad as last year which helps.
I also am aware that with me adding the drink to the shopping basket and taking it out repeatedly, that my brain may be making things feel more intense and sad to try to give me an excuse to say f*it and drink.
I won’t. It’s the loneliness making me feel I have no one and that’s what seems to be triggering the cravings.
I am looking forward to Xmas and the happy moments that I can make happy. I also think not being in my permanent home is leaving me a feeling of being lost. But hey it’s feelings they will pass. Il smile through them.

I absolutely love apple crumble and custard. I prefer crumble over pie.
I’ll post my Xmas foods on the foodies thread over the next few days :meat_on_bone:

:people_hugging:

7 Likes

Hi :wave:
Thank you :blush:

I am watching a series vigil on BBC. Keep myself out of my mind :laughing:
I am going to get an early night tonight in a bit, and get up nice and early and get cooking some bits. I think that and being active here will help me alot. Being active here and the people here have got me through alot, Including not feeling all alone.
I notice my recent decline in actively participating has a strong link to the feeling alone and the cravings.

Hope you are doing well yourself :people_hugging:

2 Likes

This got into my core today. Thank you for that. I’m sending you a massive Christmas hug to ride out the loneliness.

Feelings are bigger this time of year. Please never think you are alone though. 🩷🩶🩷

5 Likes

Thank you so much and sending Christmas hugs back to you too :people_hugging:

Even just posting now is lifting some of the heaviness away.

:hugs:

3 Likes

Talking it out always helps. And realizing you aren’t the only one feeling something helps me tons. You are lovely and kind. I hope 6 kittens find you this weekend (mostly for the pictures I would get, not for the 6 kittens you would have to raise).
You are loved Twizz.

3 Likes