Hoping Through It

I first relapsed one day in early December because I had trouble sleeping. I was hit with heavy grief, and I still am, from a romantic relationship situation. It’s complicated. Then during the following weeks of Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve I drank again due to social obligations and a hidden part of it was that grief I’m still currently going through.

Last week I was invited to an intimate gathering with family members and their significant other where alcohol was involved and I guiltily took part due to the aforementioned grief and social obligations. Then these past several days I drank for 3 straight days to just help me get through what I’m going through which I know is never a good way to go yet I did it anyway.

I prayed and still pray to God during these times of struggle but it’s just difficult. It’s hard when most of the family are alcoholics and rely on it during gatherings, when one has preexisting mental health struggles, and when one is battling a silent war very few people know about. This is not just the grief and social obligations but from many reasons and situations that are unspoken which I am going through. I couldn’t afford therapy right now and I’d much rather just focus on what I can actively do to start healing and start my sobriety again with the means I have and the resources that are readily available to me. I also talked to a few people I trust and whom I’m close to including my best friend who knows more than what I’ve told others, and they all understand and support me in my healing. I reset my sober countdown to zero some time earlier because I only drank tea, coconut water, and water for the whole day.

I still have hope within me and I’d like to share that same hope to whoever is reading this too. May God bless us all.

10 Likes

Maybe try ameeting they are free wish you well

3 Likes

Thank you, sir. I will and likewise. God bless :pray:

2 Likes

Welcome. Your story resonates with me. I was a drinker who drank to escape too. I was mostly trying to escape sadness which won’t happen if you keep drinking a depressant.

I am just shy of two years sober thanks to reading everything I could get my hands on concerning alcohol, checking in on this site every day and making it my goal to go to bed sober every night.

We want to see you succeed and we have all had a day 1, some of us many. If you have questions just ask and if you are struggling reach out. Welcome! I’m happy you’re here.

6 Likes

There are a million beverages that are not alcohol :slight_smile: the issue is that this one is a powerful drug.

2 Likes