How do people cope with weekends?

So I relapsed. I am currently 4 days sober though and am proud of this. I am so sure I can do this. BUT this weekend, I have to go out with my husband and his couple friends. How do I get through it? Any tips guys???

1 Like

What do you mean by ā€œhave toā€?

4 Likes

Iā€™m with @Englishd

Donā€™t go if youā€™re already feeling uncomfortable about it. You donā€™t need to put yourself in that position right now.

4 Likes

I third @Englishd.

1 Like

Itā€™s not that I ā€œhave toā€ itā€™s more that it was arranged a few months ago and my husband is super excited and I donā€™t want to let anyone down

1 Like

I changed everything, said ā€œnoā€ to situations and people where alcohol was a given. My sobriety was/is far more important than going out where there is booze. After nearly 11 months, I honestly feel like I have not missed a thing.

7 Likes

But if you go, and relapse again, youā€™ll be letting the only person whoā€™s feelings really matter to your sobriety down, and thatā€™s you.

We get sober for ourselves. Iā€™d suggest not doing anything that could jeopardize your sobriety, ever. And especially early on.

11 Likes

I think you are going to find that most of us would say donā€™t go

3 Likes

I hate to say the obviousā€¦but you get through it by not drinking. If you really donā€™t want to drink you order something different. ā€œItā€™s not easy, but it is simpleā€.

You can do it. :sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

Well, thatā€™s a tough one. I get you made plans and donā€™t want to let people down. But how about you? Do you want to let yourself down? Are you solid to not drink? I know for me in early days, I had to cancel A LOT of dinner parties and even didnā€™t go on a girlā€™s trip for my bestie which included doing a Komen walk with her, she is a breast cancer survivor. That is how serious I was about babying my sobriety in the early days, weeks, months.

Until I felt solid I could go to a restaurant or host a party with drinkers all around and not drink, I didnā€™t go. I made sure my husband understood 100% that me getting sober was WAY more important than a dinner with friends. I made sure I understood that as well.

In the past, I would just use that as another excuse to drink. Not anymore.

And if we had friends over and they were all drinking and it bothered me, I have zero problems going out or hanging in my room room reading or doing yoga or asking everyone to leave.

Nothingā€¦nadaā€¦was or is as important as me taking care of me.

If you ā€˜mustā€™ go, have an exit planā€¦take a walk outside, to the bathroom or head home. Drink LOTS of water or ginger ale. Eat lots of food and desserts.

My advice? Stay home, it is too early for dinner and drinks with friends.

Keep us posted!

6 Likes

If you have to go then maybe try this:

Tell your husband youā€™re not drinking and ask that he respect your decision by not encouraging you to drink.

Choose a beverage before hand, my go to is iced tea. Donā€™t even need to browse the menu, just request an iced tea as soon as I can.

Prepare by telling your self right now, and everyday that I am not going to drink!.

Visualize the event being sober, then go do it!

6 Likes

Iā€™m the next one who says ā€œDonā€™t go, itā€™s too earlyā€. And remember, you donā€™t ā€œhave toā€ do anything except be gentle to your body and keep alcohol out of it. Our health is the most important thing we have.

3 Likes

I had to prioritize my sobriety, and in the begining, above most anything else. Because it doesnā€™t come naturally for most of us on this siteā€¦I disappointed a lot of people and said ā€œnoā€ to a lot of things. Have to. Itā€™s not a side issue. It wonā€™t happen on its own and itā€™s all to easy to chuck it when trying to accommodate others.

3 Likes

You guys are genuinely incredibly helpful and supportive. Thank you. I think youā€™re all right. Itā€™s too early for me. I told my husband I wasnā€™t joining them and he looked so disappointed I felt bad. If I do decide to go out, I think Iā€™ll meet them there and order a soft drink as soon as I walk in and then duck out early. I can do this. I can always message you guys! Thank you so much!

11 Likes

Once you get some time under your belt you will be able to do a lot more. But for now you just keep doing you.

4 Likes

Hi everyone! This is my third day that I downloaded this wonderful app so I can/trying to overcome my alcoholismā€¦ And some point sometimes I feel like a failure going to AA meeting (which I donā€™t minimize) But my The struggle is for real, cause I do believe in the twelve steps. My biggest problem is the weekend. I come from a small island from the Caribbean (Aruba) where alcohol is daily involve in our life. Right now that we are in carnival timeā€¦ I am doing my best to cope with ā€œJust For Todayā€ but honestly my mind is trigger me for the weekend already! But one thingā€¦ I had read so much from the topics that all fellows are sharing on this app and thatā€™s one thing that have me still ā€œaliveā€ (sober). Today is my 3rd day sober and I am grateful to God. Btw my first sharing.

4 Likes

Welcome. AA us a tough pill to swallow in the beginning. With time, going gets easier, and becomes enjoyable

2 Likes

Welcome :pray: you can do this! Congratulations on 3 days!

1 Like

Unless and until you can say ā€œnoā€ to the drink that mattersā€¦the first drink and say ā€œnoā€ to the hardest person to say ā€œnoā€ toā€¦yourself, consistently, with vigor and enthusiasm, I would highly suggest you say ā€œnoā€ to the event.

3 Likes

I forth @Englishd haha. All in favor?

You dont NEED to do anything. Put your sobriety first always and you will never relapse. Itā€™s only when we put ourselves in danger that we fail.

1 Like