How do you cope?

That is a great goal for sure. Keep reading different post and stay active on here, it’s helped me a ton. I’ve tried and failed multiple times. Currently I am day 12 of sobriety and before I’ve set goals of 30 or 60 days… I’ve failed all of those times. I think because in my mind I knew one day I would go back to drinking and I told myself “well I made it 10 days so I’ve got it under control now”. This time I have no goals other than to not drink today, then repeat. I wish you the best and I believe you’ve got this. You have the will, just find your way. Congrats on your new found sobriety so far.

2 Likes

Replacement. Have something else to replace it with. Something like a hobby. Playing games, learning a new language, making homemade body products, music. These are just some that I use but there’s endless ways to occupy your time/mind. Some more are coloring , hiking, learning ab anything you’re interested in. Even cute Lil phone games can help. I have a phone game called old friends and it’s based on a real per sanctuary and the pets are all based on real animals from there too.

1 Like

Witchcraft is also v fun lol

4 Likes

Littlemiss chatterbox says it all!
@Lorelai

1 Like

Good job on those 3 days. Don’t give up

The 30 days is a good idea. Your body will respond. Your stomach will lose that bloat in the two weeks and you’ll be excited by your new shape. Your brain will start to recalibrate too.

I think of sobriety almost like a carb free diet. The longer I go the less I want to mess up. The first few days suck because you’re literally coming off living on alcohol.

First 30 days I worked more hours, went to the gym every time I had idle time. I tried to book things to keep me busy, like spin class, coffee with friends, hikes, walks anything to keep me busy. It’s when I was just sitting around the house when I wanted to drink so I just eliminated that time. After 30 days you’ll start to love your body and mind again.

1 Like

For me I needed a full on sobriety blitz. Distractions and just dipping my toe into sobriety did not work. I went to rehab, followed by AA (and definitely the steps), IOP and therapy. And I needed to do these things daily. Sobriety just doesn’t happen. I needed to work for it by taking action that was focused on sobriety, rather than just trying to ignore it

5 Likes

Welcome. In the very early days, I did some sobriety activity every day, often in the morning, such as watching something, reading a chapter of quit lit, to really learn about what I was dealing with and keep motivation high. I also kept my hands and mouth busy during the times I usually drank. Mints and study apps really helped for me.

2 Likes

I went to AA because i couldnt cope ,they taught me to stay sober with a program and i had to make the effort and have the desire to stay sober and its worked for a long time now wish you well

5 Likes

Let me begin by congratulating you on exploring sobriety.

Maybe begin with your “why?” As in “why do I want to try to be sober?”

For me, I tried at first just to prove I didn’t have a drinking problem, inspite of all the negative impacts abusing alcohol was causing in my life. Several times I quit for a few days or weeks, only resume drinking when I’d convinced myself that I could have just one, or stop whenever I chose to. I also chose to ignore the fact that each time it was harder to quit, and easier to restart.

I quit for good when I realized that I was in danger of losing my marriage, and along with it everything good in my life. This was the bottom I could see, and I decided to chose a higher bottom, where I was at that moment.

How did I cope? I built new rituals. I walked when I felt like drinking and kept walking until the cravings passed. This usually meant an hour or so every evening, walking and listening to podcasts. It became my new ritual, replacing my post-work drinking ritual. This got me through the first months.

After about 3 months, I signed up for martial arts classes and dove in. I attended class 4 nights a week, plus Saturdays, plus seminars and trained at home in the dojo I built in my garage. Almost 5 years later I am a black belt, teaching classes 4 nights a week. I replaced my drinking lifestyle with a martial arts lifestyle.

For me, it’s less about subtraction, and more about addition. It’s not about coping, it’s about transformation.

Hope this helps.

4 Likes

Thats really tough. Can you get cleaned up somewhere you’ll have no way to get alcohol?

Welcome. Its really hard especially when youre in the habit. This app was the first tool that really worked to keep me sober.

Just going 30 days “to clear my head” was where i started too.

I would watch the clock, minute by minute, or the milestone bar. I would post almost every day. I would reply to other peoples posts who are struggling because it kept me in that headspace of actually wanting to be sober.

I would constantly be sipping on something else - nearly poisoned myself with coffee, also always had a soda or seltzer or juice or tea or water. Youll have to find something to replace all of the liquid in 12 white claws. Its worth spending money on tastes and quality you enjoy.

Just remember urges will come, and they always pass. If you want to crawl out of your skin to drink, wait an hour and see what happens. Then another hour. Its easier to do this now than 10 years from now.

Rooting for you!

1 Like

How’s the goal coming so far? I hope your are still on your way.

1 Like

Welcome! I’m so proud of you for being here! I like to have flavored water with dinner and ending the night with sleepytime tea. Its nice to have a new, healthy ritual in the evening.

I drank everyday for 32 years, now i just don’t. I find that getting back into the hobbies that i used to have has helped. Whether it’s fishing, golfing, model cars, just anything that will keep you busy. Ive gotten into hiking and going to the gym, going out to shoot my guns, going for drives in the country. Just anything that keeps me from getting bored. Boredom is the enemy.

2 Likes

Hello Congratulations. When i started my 1 day; I aimed to wake up sober and go to bed sober. For me I knew the date I stopped drinking. I didnt start keep track of my days until aounnd 6 and half months.
How I coped with the in between time was by going to meetings every day, calling someone just to talk, Then I started sharing at the meetings, which led to getting some phone numbers. calling them to say hello. Trust me it wasn’t easy to call a perfect stranger but soon enough I started gaining more confidence in myself.
Eventually I started reading more about being an alcoholic. I wrote down so many questions. I then needed to know the answers.
Do not get me wrong even after 17 months (with life to go); occasionally that ever so Patient, Unrelenting Botch called alcohol whispers "HEY, Just one!.. come on you will feel… blah-blah-blah. I was able to quickly call BULS#!?. Then I Play the tape -Some days I’d have to play the entire tape. I’d call a sober friend, my sponsor. Remember its a we program not a me program. Build up your Bag of Tricks (AKA Tool box) Every one needs an assortment of tools to accept and live life on life’s terms. See you soon my Friend

3 Likes

Congrats on 17 months. Freedom from alcohol is a priceless gift.

1 Like

I want to thank all of you for your feedback! Im currently on day 10 and feeling really good!

I’m struggling with sleep still BUT I wake up feeling great with LESS sleep, so I’m calling that a win!

Again, thank you all so much for your replies- they havd helped me cope tremendously

5 Likes

How are you doing?

Hi take it a day at a time keep yourself busy remember all the horrible things that could happen if you continue on the path of drinking, and how much better your life is without it. Remember we aren’t like regular people who can just have one drink eventually we come right back to drinking ourselves to death.