How do you define Alcoholism?

My last drink/drunk: We got home from Church on a Sunday. 12:15 PM. I headed straight for my workshop, put on some music, sat at my work-bench, and proceeded to drink till I passed out. Wife came down at 5:30 and asked if I was planning on cooking dinner (I cook in my house). I said “no”, and went to bed.

Woke up the next day, hung over. Wife was quiet, and just looked at me sadly. I said “That’s it. I am done drinking”. I know she thought “I’ve heard that before, but I can hope”, but she didn’t say anything. She’d said it all before.

But I was done. I knew I was done. I knew I’d had enough. And that was that. Day 317 since the last drink I will ever take. I will never again put those chains back on. I am free, and I intend to stay free.

6 Likes

That’s a really good score man. It means you don’t have to drink any more. At least that’s how it was for me. It was so relieved when I finally realized that I was an alcoholic. It meant that I didn’t have to try to control my drinking anymore.

I was an alcoholic. and by definition and alcoholic is someone that has lost the ability to control their drinking. So in my mind that meant that I didn’t have to drink anymore. What a fecking relief that was!!

3 Likes

So I went and took the test based on my last year of drinking and scored a 34. I’m guessing that a high score does not indicate I’m winning. Also I probably underestimated some of the answers.

Meh, probably a good thing I haven’t had a drink in almost a year.

3 Likes

Yep exactly :+1:

AA meeting at 19.45pm :muscle: going to try and work through all the steps

4 Likes

Hopefully not in one meeting lol. Even Bill Wilson wouldn’t have been able to do that. But you are making a good choice by going. Get a sponsor to guide you through the book. Get a book if you don’t have one.

Hell yeah Buddy! They say to “bring your body and your mind will follow”. They also say “just get you ass in that room and everything will be okay!”
I’m glad you’re going man. And I’m glad you’re here

1 Like

I’ve got a lady I work with who’s been sober 3 years who said she’ll sponsor me. And no it won’t just be one :+1:

2 Likes

Good your going to go to meets ,for me men should sponsor men and woman ,woman , wish you well

2 Likes

Yep!! I cant list one benefit either. Nothing but negatives when you look at it honestly.

1 Like

How many meetings until you get a sponsor ?

There’s no set number, however it is recommended that we don’t delay. I agree with @Ray_M_C_Laren that men with men. If you find a man who strikes you as someone who lives the program you should just ask. Or bring it up as a topic

1 Like

Great I will do- meeting went well this evening and got a couple of numbers. I will bring it up when I feel the time is right then

3 Likes