How do you do it?!

I’m trying to quit alcohol and drugsfor the second time inless than 6 months. I need to get sober because it affects my depression and makes me worse. What are some things that you do to help keep your mind off the addiction? What kind of positive habits have you found to replace your addiction?

1 Like

First of all: you’re so brave for wanting to give up your addiction(s)!! :cherry_blossom:
For me, going out and being in nature makes me really happy. I find inner peace oin the beauty of the mountains or blue sparkling water. I love hearing the wind blowing through the trees, listening to bird songs, smelling flowers and just admiring a beautiful sunset.
Even just leaving my house to look at the sun going down makes me very calm and positive.
That’s probably not the case for everyone, though.
Music helps me a lot. Positive music that reminds me of how great life can be and how many wonderful things life has to give.
Talking to people. Not necessarily about addiction or so, but about beautiful things. But, if you feel like talking about what’s hurting you, do so.
I wish you all the best and remember that you are much stronger than you may think! :muscle:t3::slight_smile::butterfly:

1 Like

Firstly good on you for making the choice on getting sober. I too live with depression and substances where my way of regulating my emotions but never solving my problems. I joined the fellowship of NA which has been my saving grace. I also had neglected my physical health for years through my addiction so I have made a commitment to train at the gym. I find the gym is my place of solace… sometimes I dont even work out just create an awesome playlist of music and more like fluff around at gym. I’ve taken up diving as I live near alot of ocean and collect seafood. Fishing i hated but i now enjoy after catching the big one of course lol.
The ocean is my happy place… i dump my stress there and in my culture… we have a god or guardian of the sea like Poseidon or Neptune so to speak. I let my guardian take my stress by dipping myself in the ocean like a cleansing I guess. Like meditation if a way to describe? Good company is essential but learning to be alone without feeling lonely has been something I’ve been working on for a while now. Good luck on the search

1 Like

Here’s my list of things to do instead of addiction.
-Read program material

• Crafts
  • Go to a meeting
  • Go on forums
  • Listen to Audiobook
  • Research future travel plans
  • Play games
  • Clean
  • Yoga
  • Go out for Coffee
  • Go for drive
  • Look at what I already have
  • Iron
  • Do nails

Good luck!

Glad too to get this list. Newly sober and all tips gratefully received :hugs:

1 Like

Reading books (a lot).
Exercising is a great habit too.
What I would encourage You to do, is to build the lifestyle based on self discipline.

1 Like

Thanks I will use these tools.

1 Like