How do you know when the pink cloud has past?

I am currently almost four months sober and life feels fantastic, everyday I am grateful for my sobriety (and my life) and I enjoy the gifts that my newfound freedom brings.
My question is how do you know when this is real and not “the pink cloud”? My first weeks weren’t a walk in the park but I have gone from strength to strength and feel like this new person is the real me feeling all the feelings that go with life on life’s terms but I’m also scared that this may come to an end one day. I’ve faced some pretty tough situations in the last month, a close friends funeral, my first party, stressful times with my son who has special needs and the ongoing saga of what my relationship with my ex husband and children’s father actually is (are we better off together or apart?) I’ve not craved alcohol through any of these challenges and remain positive about my life and excited for what is to come but how do you know when this feeling is now the real you and that the pink cloud isn’t going to float away?

4 Likes

Thank you, the things you mention are exactly why I feel it is different for me this time. I have fully accepted that this disease is lifelong and that it will take constant (lifelong) work and vigilance to keep it away from my door.
I take time every morning to acknowledge that I am still an alcoholic and to review my programme and make sure I’m sticking to it and if anything needs to change, then I go about my day. In the evening I reflect on the days events and what kept me sober today.
I guess I’m just scared that this wonderful new life could float away. I know it won’t if I continue to work at it and that it is in my control (as long as I don’t take the first drink which I wont because I don’t drink) but the thought of this feeling going away terrifies me.

2 Likes

Thank you your words are very reassuring

In hindsight, I definitely had some pink cloud going on to start with, I reckon it lasted about 5 months. I’ve probably always had depression but never got help for it so now the novelty of being sober is wearing off that’s something I’m having to work through. Saying that, even when I’m feeling pretty miserable I’m grateful for being sober because it means I’m able to to work on it in a way I’ve never done before.

Not trying to bum you out but if you’re feeling on a high, probably better to expect a low at some point. Of course your mileage may vary!

I found this article on it and thought it explains it well.

https://joinclubsoda.co.uk/pink-fluffy-cloud-feeling/

5 Likes

A good reminder that we should be vigilant daily. I do similar in the morning, the only thing I’m not doing at the moment is the AA but I know it’s there. Positive mental attitude.

3 Likes

Thanks that’s really helpful, the article pretty much explains what I already thought but it good to get other peoples experiences :blush:

1 Like

I’m on the pink cloud as well and was there before…last year I was sober for about 4 months…right were you are now. At that point I thought I could be a normal person and smoke weed and drink like a normal person…but I am not. I accepted this fact now, so this time it’s different than the last 110 times I stopped dri king/smoking. I wrote on the Checking in daily-thread this morning know I’m hyper and on the pink cloud and I am wondering when I fall of the cloud. So thanks for bringing this topic and thanks @siand for the article!

2 Likes

That’s what I’m mindful of, I’ve been here before too and fell off right about now when I got complacent at a wedding, the champagne toast was put down in front of me a in a fleeting moment I thought I could be normal. Lesson learnt big time, I won’t be getting caught out that way again. I KNOW I can’t have just one now

3 Likes

We know, but in the past I forgot that I knew :wink:. That’s why I wrote it all down …in case I start to believe again I’m a normal person!

3 Likes

Good place to drop a favorite line. “Having a bad day? Don’t worry, it’ll pass. Having a good day? Don’t worry, that’ll pass, too.” :rofl:

To me the pink cloud can be appreciated for what it is: something to be earned, everyday. There’s always real work to be done, and I watch for what I can do to keep it going.

If it’s around though? Pft. Sure, always keep at it. But take a sec to celebrate and be grateful! :partying_face:

5 Likes