How...does anyone cope

Can a person quit being consumed with thoughts of alcohol when all that person can do is sleep or stare off into space without it (and that person has physical and overwhelming emotional burdens?) I do talk with a councellor who helps me as much as possible but i do not think this councellor quite gets it. Anyone out there similar, how do they cope???

5 Likes

Yeah i was like that at first but youve got to find stuff to do to take your mind off it and push yourself forward…it can be done, why dont you do yourself some actual lists of things you enjoy doing, things that comfort you then when you start staring off into space you go to your lists, choose something and do it…

5 Likes

Take it one day and one step at a time.
Don’t put too much pressure on yourself, things will begin to fall in to place and our minds rebalance.
Big hugs :hugs:

1 Like

It can change…our thoughts…our relationship to alcohol. It takes time, commitment and educating ourselves, but we can and do literally heal from the obsessive thoughts that consume us. As Twizzle said, take it a day at a time.

3 Likes

I can sympathise.

I get the stares and corpse-mode when depression has it’s grips on me. Like can’t even move a finger for hours, staring like I can’t even be bothered to move my eyeballs. It’s like your body shuts down because of the negativity it’s all feeling. I didn’t know it but can really recognise the signs of it approaching now.

I escaped it by seeing the doc and (I didn’t want to) going onto Sertraline for a couple of years. It helped give me enough of a break from corpse-mode to make a few small life changes (like start new hobbies slowly, and have a little energy to go for a walk) and gradually the momentum built up and I weaned off the meds. Now it’s relatively easy to be active and happy.

Please consider it, alcohol is not an answer.

1 Like

Thank you. I did not know about that medication. I am practically desparate. Corpse-mode…you described it perfectly. I shall try it. So many thanks.

1 Like