How to deal with "friends" calling you hypersensitive?

Recovery, sobriety, this hell I live in right now giving up my addiction has me all over the place. Someone I thought was a friend called me hypersensitive and my only reaction is duh! You should know not to mess with me, let alone trigger me when I’m vulnerable. All I want to do is cut people off and quit trying to have friendships during this journey because what’s the point?

Early on you are hypersensitive I’m sorry but we are. We are naked with feelings. Like who the hell needs those. I spent a lifetime running from them. I can tell you it gets leveled out. The people that understand it are other people that are addicts themselves. That’s why you hear us meeting people say it’s our life support. But that’s not to say you can’t have friends outside of recovery types. It just means you have to be a patient with them as you expect them to be with you. People in denial or who don’t have the curse/gift won’t and can’t understand the why’s and how’s of the battle you are waging. It’s perspective mostly yours. I’m sure you have seen me quote acceptance is the key to my happiness. By that I mean you have to accept the people in your life for who they are not force them to be who you think they need to be for you. There is the option to pull back for awhile and get your mindset better adjusted before being around everyone. Nobody can decide any of this for you. And some of these choices will be uncomfortable to say the least.

6 Likes

Lol sensitive yes. But I think hypersensitive is extreme. It’s not so much the feelings bothering me. It’s the way to know whether you are being reasonable or not. But in time this will all make sense I guess. Thank you for the advice. It helps to bounce this stuff off to another person to gain insight.

2 Likes

They say your brain has to rewire itself. It takes time to learn how to deal with all these relationships. After all we have only been partially present in them for a while. Now that we have no DOC as a smoke screen it all hits us full force. Stay with it, as @Chad_R said it gets better as time passes.

2 Likes