How to deal with stress sober

I stopped drinking last year from May to September and it was, honestly, the best time of my life so far. It was crazy living everything with conscious and raw…I had some really hard days but I was making it! I lost 25pounds, I was looking and feeling healthy…than came a wave of stress…and now, I feel like I’m singking… How to deal with so much stress sober!? I’m so stressed out and my owl life is completely desorganised. I’m having a hard time to breathe sometimes and I was even late with my periods for a good week!!! :persevere: I don’t know how to deal with it anymore. I have 2 awsome kids and I try to be the best Mon for them but as soon as they sleeping, I just want to not think about anything anymore, nothing. I am tired, I know I have to stop but the anxiety is so high right now. I don’t know how to deal with myself.

4 Likes

I think if you are experiencing physical symptoms to your stress then you should see the dr. My husband went through a huge amount of stress last summer and it took a long time to convince him to see the dr. But he eventually ended up on stress leave and taking some medications. It wasn’t permanent but he needed help. It was the best thing he ever did.

I tend to stress over things that keep me up at night, when I do this, I prioritize my worries. I think about what can I worry about later? What needs my immediate attention? What problems can I delegate? What do I need help with?

So really, it’s a matter of creating a list and number them based on priority. Then pick number one and make a plan to solve that problem.

By breaking our big problems in to small bite sized problems, it helps us manage everything so we do not become overwhelmed.

And most importantly, don’t be afraid to ask for help!

3 Likes

I asked myself the same question this morning…after binging last night to deal with my stressors. I cannot fix my fuck-ups from the past, I CAN however choose to make better decisions in the future. Stressors will not go away…I will always have children (a blessing and a bringer of stress) and at least for the foreseeable future I will have a high stress occupation. Those are constants in my life which I must change my way of thinking about - because while they are causes of stress, they are also blessings to be thankful for. Change is never easy, especially changing our mindsets, but at least for today, I will change my mindset toward these blessings and be thankful for them instead of choosing to allow them to cause me stress.

“The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly.” -Buddha

6 Likes

Reminds me of what an AA oldtimer always said in meetings…“there are good days, the are bad days…why, because thats life. I have the choice to make it a sober day.”

9 Likes

I try to remind myself, when my kids act like pain in the ass, that they didnt ask to come here. And that its in the genes.

1 Like

My kids are not my source of stress. It’s not always easy with them but that’s normal…
My fiance and I opened a restaurant not even a year ago. We are doing good but really not enough since after Hollidays. We barely making any profit since 2-3 months so all the bills are backing up…we were not ready for this. We should but we are not … We are working all the time, we only have a half of a day off per week but we still struggling like hell…it’s hard…I drink so I don’t feel to much pressure on my shoulders but I can’t continue like this forever…

My favourite is: “In sobriety, we have good days and great days. If we have a good day and don’t take a drink, that is a good day. If we have a bad day and don’t take a drink, that is a great day.”

Meditation has been saving my life and keeping me sane an sober. I do this one often: https://youtu.be/wm1t5FyK5Ek

Good luck, my friend. It may not feel like it, but you are doing great. :hearts:

5 Likes

Fitness is a really great way to beat stress. I am finding that I am doing much more physical activity these days! I’m doing daily 20 min workouts to keep my mind off beer and on stressful days I am upping it.

3 Likes

:muscle: i know that is a hard branch and its not unsual that people working in that field drink. I have to follow it happening everyday. I hope things will turn out right for you :muscle:

1 Like

Hope you are still holding on to your sobriety. Some days it’s tough to get out of your own way, but you can do it! Remember when things get bad that’s just a sign that they’re gonna get better.

1 Like

Someone once told me because I have so much stress and anxiety… “to stay in my room” . Don’t open the door to the Past… Don’t look in the future just stay in my room and deal with right now this moment… Hope this helps

I sadly drank yesterday… I had a wonderful day with my best friend and our kids outside. I even opened my heart and told her about my alcohol problem. But I passed by my parents house on my way back and couldn’t stop myself to grab wine before. My Dad is an alcoholic. But a very quiet one tho…he drinks until he’s tired and than go to bed at like 7-8 o’clock :unamused: it’s always been like that. And because I feel bad for my mom to be always by herself, I decided that we will have a drink together. And first thing I know is as soon the bottle is finished, I needed more cause I was getting emotional and all that… I came back to my house only today and my boyfriend was telling me his desire to start back working out and being more healthy etc… So I see now the opportunity to put double efforts on my side and taking it really serious me too. So here I am, 24h sober

Sorry by the way, English is not my first language as you can see :wink: