How to get a sponsor? What is a sponsor?

How long does someone have to be sober to get a sponsor? What does a sponsor do? How do I know if I need one? New to this sobriety thing (6 days today). Thank you in advance.

3 Likes

Did you ever get any response to this? I’m sort of in the same boat.

2 Likes

You can get a sponsor at any time and a sponsor is someone who takes you and guides you through the twelve steps and helps you stay sober. Usually you have to go and ask someone to sponsor you (a man if you are a man and a woman if you are a woman) I also need to get a sponsor but I go to online meetings so I don’t know how that works but yeah. They are basically like your sober mentor to stay sober.

3 Likes

A sponsor typically refers to 12 step programs like AA. It’s someone who has been through the steps already and walks someone else through them, as it was taught to them, one step at a time. Offering suggestions, answering questions, and trusted to discuss how to apply them to our own life/situation.

Typically you would find one at a local meeting, though especially the past couple years can be found through online meetings also. Intherooms.com does online meetings regularly, as do many fellowships now (you may see Zoom options posted online for AA meetings, etc).

I think you’ll find those who offer sponsorship very happy to if asked. Helping others is very helpful to ourselves and rewarding in itself!

I’d say if you’re interested in working a 12 step program, it’s a good idea to look around for a sponsor as soon as you’re ready. I work AA and have found it very, very valuable for getting my head screwed on straight.

Learning to live life on life’s terms has gone a long way for me on having no interest in the drink anymore! Life just good. Or at least manageable! :joy:

3 Likes

Oh, just noticed this was an old thread! Added a response above though.

1 Like

I’m not doing a 12 step program - I go to other programs. But would like a mutual accountability partner familiar w alcohol recovery to stay connected with and be able to call when struggling.

2 Likes

Thank you such a thourough answer as well as the resource. I was not aware of this website at all. :heart_eyes:

1 Like