How to get a sponsor

The state of New York has deemed me unworthy of the privilege of driving so I get lotsa rides. I find one every time for meetings.

Thank you!!

1 Like

boom-flash-em-branco_1308-2912

Sounds to me you already know what you need to do. Generally speaking a sponsor is going to leave it up to you to contact them and work the steps, at least until they know you’re serious. I was talking to a guy today who sponsors a decent amount of guys, and he says that most guys ask him than never follow through and he can’t track them down and force them into it. Same thing happened with my sponsor at first. It was up to me to get a hold of him. Now that we’ve been together (sounds sooo weird still haha) for a while he will call or text me if he doesn’t hear from me in a few days. We still usually talk 5 days a week.

3 Likes

Wow. Mind blown. I had no idea that there were rules for a Home group. I call my home group my men’s meeting on Thursdays. I attend every week. I only really am in personal contact with like 3 of the boys.

Hmmmmmm. So not my home group :thinking: Lol

3 Likes

That makes sense. I was looking at it wrong I guess.

boom-flash-em-branco_1308-2912

Haha… That was what I was waiting for. Yes no coffee. It makes social interaction even more awkward.

My backup on the weekdays is a clubhouse. If shit ever hits the fan, I know all I have to do is make it to there. There are meetings every 75 minutes through out the day and I know that people will be there all day. It may be a special interest group, but no sex exclusive meetings that I remember.

Hahahaha, I go to a meeting called Grapevine, but it’s actually a normal meeting. But a meeting without coffee wouldn’t last long here.

1 Like

I used the lack of coffee as a chance to create new routines to replace my old routine (work late and go to bar after). I go to the same coffee shop every weekday (never have to order) and say hello to everyone there and then go to my meeting.

My advice is ease your have at your meetings and ask for help. I did this and said I dont know what I am doing I just want to stay sober I dont know how any of this works please help me and someone pointed me in the right direction. If you want it it is there just ask and trust your gut you will know who is full of it and who is good hearted

1 Like

@Juanzies that takes some amazing courage to do that. It took me like 3 weeks until I worked up the nerve to ask a sponsor. Yours is definitely a great way to go about it.

Congrats on your progress and best wishes on your journey. I myself am brand spanking new with almost 36 hours under my belt and I was wondrring the same thing. It doesn’t help with me having social anxiety and bi polar disorder. Is it more difficult for people who have social disorders?

1 Like

I’m bi-polar 1. For a couple years I used that as an excuse to keep using and relapsing. A tooooon of people in AA have concurrent mental health issues, but they do recover. Just keep hitting meetings and try to talk to one new person at each meeting. You fill find a sponsor

1 Like

I want to find a sponsor on here, is there anyone on here thay does this?

People here can help you, but a sponsor is there to guide you through the steps. I suggest hitting a meeting and bringing up the topic of sponsorship. They will gladly help you out.

3 Likes

I sponsor but only guys who ask me at a meeting , you might find someone who will help you but going to a meeting and getting a sponsor will be better wish you well

3 Likes

Congradulation

Hi im 3 1/2 years sober. I’ve been stuck on step 4 since the start! This corona virus is really tough, as im sure it is for everyone. Im looking for an online sponsor to go through the steps with me please

1 Like

When I hear you say that you were told that you Won’t stay Sober unless you Do the Steps,that Pisses me off! Nothing like Scaring your Lil Feet out of the Door before you Truly get your Lil Feet in !!! Damn Ol Timers! Lol… I’m 2 years sober and I still don’t have a Sponsor! I have a Tribe!! I don’t turn to just one person! Sometimes… I turn to the People on this sight! You definitely need Someone/ Something to Turn/ Talk to!!!