How to get a sponsor

When did you all get a sponsor and start working the steps? Today marks 15 days and I’ve gone to a few meetings and I keep hearing how you can’t stay sober if you don’t work the program but I’m really nervous.

7 Likes

i didnt get a sponsor until a few months in. At the beginning or end of the meeting whenever they ask if there are any AA related announcements, just raise your hand and say “I am new to the program and am looking for a sponsor.” That’s how i did it and i always recommed doing it that way. Hope you find one soon!

7 Likes

I had someone approach me after my first meeting and ask if I wanted help with sponsorship. I accepted the help and have started working the steps. Very helpful!

4 Likes

I met someone last week and messaged her but I think maybe she is just too busy. I also don’t want to be a burden :grimacing: I’ll do what you suggested when I go tomorrow. Thanks for the advice!

Yeah only showing up for meetings makes me feel like a visitor I’d love to start now I think I’m ready.

1 Like

I was forced to go to rehab by the navy a few years back. I was lying to myself back then and until recently about how bad my problem with alcohol is. I’m definitely ready I’m just unsure. Also I leave for deployment at the end of the month so I’m just blah
I am ready I’m just super green and unsure. I hope I can find someone tomorrow!

1 Like

I’m going to Bahrain no ship. I looked for AA and the only thing I found was stuff for 2016. I’m going to be a little ways away from the main base so I’m thinking about just trying to put together my own meeting. I know a few people I’m going with would join in so that’s a start.

2 Likes

Lol btw I was in SARP in 2012. I was pissed and I was forced to do all the stuff I had to do I definitely wasn’t ready back then. That was in Jacksonville. Bleh

They also say “keep coming back” and “bring your body and your mind will follow”. So do both of those and you will be just fine. If you like what someone shares then grab them after the meeting and chat with them some. The will be more than happy to talk to you.

I heard someone on the forum say they follow the 20/20 method. Show up 20 minutes early and stay 20 minutes after the meeting. That’s when the magic happens :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I went to a lot of meetings and listened to what people shared. Took me about a month to decide (turns out it was a guy from my very first meeting) and asked him one night after a meeting.

If you ever asked someone to a school dance when you were young, it’s something like that haha.

1 Like

They also have online meetings.

http://mobile.intherooms.com/

1 Like

That’s exactly how I feel. Also like I don’t want to burden someone with my needing help to go through this.

I NEED THIS!!! Thank you!!!

I will do/join damn near anything if it’s going to help me stay clean. I like this forum better to be completely honest.

1 Like

You help them as much if not more than they help you. If they can’t take on a sponsee they will point you in the right direction. They can also be your temp sponsor until you find a permanent one.

1 Like

Lol ya I have like five apps on my phone now and am on this forum reading constantly throughout the day.

1 Like

Yeah, when I lived in the boonies I definitely used the meetings. Now I can walk to upwards of 20 meetings a week. And I get rides to a bunch of others if we know people speaking or celebrating.

2 Likes

You’re speaking Spanish lol how do I do that?

I got some service positions at various meetings that require me to be early and stay late. Easiest way to follow the 20/20 suggestion.

2 Likes

I went to two today. I felt bad for missing three days but we have one car right now and my husband has school and work so I’m stuck at home. A few ladies said they would drive me though so that’s awesome!