How to go about achiving sobriety

I’m very new to this and need some advice about how to go forward from here.
I’m in my late 30s and don’t drink and do drugs every day but spend every weekend doing so and have done for the best part of 20 years and I’ve just decided I want to stop.
I suppose if I’m being honest with myself my main issue is with cocaine, but whilst on it I do tend to drink a lot too, afterwards I spend the next couple of days feeling like complete crap.
I’ve also found I’ve been feeling increasingly depressed and feeling hopeless and I don’t know if this is truly how I’m feeling or if it’s a by product of how messed up my dopamine/seratonin levels are. I look at other people who are happy and have achieved much more and are settled and content without all this crap, I’ve never had what I’d call a serious relationship just a string of meaningless one night stands, I constantly feel tired, unhappy and irritable and I know there is so much more to life.
The trouble is nearly all of my friends enjoy going out and drinking and taking drugs all the time and I don’t know how to approach quitting.
If anything I feel happy and like a weight has been lifted now I’ve made the decision to call time on behaving this way, the trouble is I don’t know how to best go about doing that, or how to be sucessful doing it.
To anyone who read this thanks a lot for listening, any advice would be amazing.

3 Likes

Welcome to the group N. I’m an alcoholic myself. Got 223 days now. Reaching out seems like a good first start. It sounds to me like you should find an NA meeting or an AA meeting and get some of this off your chest and listen to others. Lots a great people on here for help. Check out the topics. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
:pray::heart:

2 Likes

Thank you and congrats on your 223 Days that’s brilliant!.
For me I don’t think I have a problem with alcohol so much as it’s a trigger to do coke for me so probably best avoided as well.
I can have a beer or a glass of wine with a meal for example and not give much thought to having another but if I have more than 3 or 4 drinks in a social setting then it makes me want to do coke, which I will, then drink all night with it.
Not sure if that situation makes sense to others?.
Either way I’m looking to give up doing both at the moment, I’m a bit unsure about the situation with meetings at the moment due to the current situation in the world and social distancing.
Thank you again for your warm welcome.

2 Likes

Welcome N! I’m glad you found this forum; there’s alot of resources here to start your journey.
I’m wondering if you stay away from your drinking buddies for awhile you’d have more of a chance at sobriety.
You will feel so much better when it all gets out of your system too.
Look forward to seeing your progress!:raising_hand_woman:

3 Likes

glad youve found the forum, welcome!

heres a great thread to look over.Resources for our recovery

this forum has a lot of people maintaining sobriety through different approaches. regardless of how people go about their recovery i think the people stepping out of their comfort zones and committing to sobriety and self improvement every morning are all finding a lot of success, and im sure you will too just give it your full effort.

glad youre here :slight_smile:

1 Like