How to let go of friends that influences you to drink

I just got the “I wanna get drunk text “ I’m anxious because a part of me wants to go but I know I have sooo much to lose if something happen. I can’t afford to fuxk up.

Please I need encouragement.

5 Likes

Delete the text, hang out here, call your sponsor if you have one :innocent:

4 Likes

I’ve deleted and block the person. I don’t have a sponsor . Not sure how that works

3 Likes

Hey One …. Well done deleting the text and blocking the number! That takes courage and resolve so, good on you!

As far as a sponsor … do you go to meetings? Best thing to do is attend a meeting (online or in person) and say just what you did here “I don’t have a sponsor” and you’ll probably receive offers.

Heck, you might even receive some offers here. I’m not ready to sponsor just yet but we are all here to help and listen while we can.

Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

Hey thank you for the encouragement. I’m going to search for AA meetings in my area.

3 Likes

Of course, I’m sorry, I was just brainstorming ideas and forgot to explain: a sponsor is a part of 12-step programs like AA. A sponsor can be a lot of different things, but one central thing is there are someone who accompanies you on the journey:

Another thing you could do is hit up an online meeting. There’s hundreds of them and you can find one just about 24 hours a day. Get to an online meeting and you know it’ll be a sober space:

Online meeting resources

3 Likes

Hey Matt , no worries. Thank you for the resources

1 Like

Hi Chris, I’ve blocked since I got the text.

1 Like

When I made the decision to get clean I had to let go of a ton of friends and family members. I isolated from them for my sake. I kept getting offered meth and would hear them saying I was faking recovery and I would be back. Since then I have lost so many of those I let go of. One by one they passed away, victims of this disease. It hurts that they didn’t want to follow my path but I had to stay true to me and my recovery. I had to do what was best for me. I ran with these friends for over 20 years but I found out in recovery that sharing a disease doesn’t mean we are true friends. The select few from those days that I still have contact with are also in recovery. A true friend is one that respects your decision and the path you are walking, not one who tries to waylay your recovery. I’m glad you are here.

4 Likes

Wow! This is very real! Tbh I feel like I’ve almost been a loner but the few people that I let me it feels somewhat impossible to let go of. But I know if I wanna stay on a good path I have to walk away. No matter how many ways I try to look at it, it just won’t work if I want to fully recover.

3 Likes

I’ll share with you a piece of wisdom someone gave me once and turned out to be 100% true:
Your drinking buddies are NOT your friends.

I thought of them like brothers and sisters until I got sober, and then I realized how awful it really was. None of them really cared about me at all and I don’t miss any of them. Hang in there, okay?

4 Likes

Tell them you are busy with laundry or some excuse. Doesn’t matter.

Best way is to say I quit drinking, please respect my choice to stop and help me. It’s ruining my life. If they are your friends they should help.

2 Likes