How to sleep

24 hours since last drink…awoke at 2 in the morning last night and havent slept since yet havent stood for more than 10 mins…anxiety wont let me go down…i know its all in my head…any tips

2 Likes

Maybe search for meditations for sleep on YouTube.

Melatonin is also helpful, but you have to take it as you’re going to bed. Don’t take it then watch a tv show, or read a book, or move the laundry… You need to take it and then shut down for the day.

3 Likes

But I don’t promise they’ll work. It might take a few days before you get any real sleep. And that’s okay. It does get better if you let it.

3 Likes

I just don’t want to lose my job thats the stem of the anxiety which in turn wont let me go down

1 Like

Hi! I was up cleaning my house like a maniac when I first got sober. It was really hard to sleep even when I felt exhausted. My brain was overwhelmed by the sudden full time presense of me… and the reality of how sick I was.

3 Likes

After I detoxed, I started sleeping better. Now, in the evening I read, watch tv, drink herbal tea and meditate to relax. Exercise helps alot. In time the anxiety will lessen and you’ll see how much anxiety was caused by alcohol. Hope you feel better. lola

3 Likes

I often do a guided meditation through youtube or headspace whilst laying down flat on my back in bed. Also, I love my tempur-pedic eye mask, which helps me.

1 Like

Take 10mg of melatonin, take a shower and go to bed. Wake up, take another shower and go to work with a smile on your face. Tomorrow is a new day. Straighten up your crown and own it girl :yum::kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Why do you think you’ll lose your job?

Fear can cause a lot of problems. Fearing that things in your past might fuck up your tomorrows don’t allow you to live in your today.

Do your best to let go of the fear of the unknown, we have a tendency to make much bigger deals out of things in our heads than they are in real life. An alcoholic/addict alone in their head is like walking through a bad neighborhood.

4 Likes

So…right now, i have gone about a month and half without a good nights rest…anxiety all day long. Slow deep dreaths, prayer, and when I get out of work I force myself to do some sort of project. Last night I made a beard wax for my magnificent beard. It is helping. Depending on the type of anxiety, or more correctly why it manifests, getting your mind on to something outside of anxiety helps lessen it. Obviously, I have not mastered it. However, I am in better shape than I was a year ago…i am not drinking myself to sleep, and I can function at work. I wish i had better words of advi e.

3 Likes

I used meditations or self hypnosis on YouTube, read, knit (and failed lol), cleaned, or if nothing helped: watched crime or ufo stuff online to get 100% distracted.
Sometimes I even just stood awake the whole night, went to work, came home tired as hell and then I could sleep the whole night.

1 Like

I’m not sure what your job is but I would hope that a few nights of poor sleep won’t cause you to do anything to lose your job. EVERYONE has bouts of insomnia. Even “healthy” people.

Hang in there. I promise it gets better. It may take time but it does get better.

1 Like

Try to make a routine. Go to bed and wake up at the same time. (My time is about 9-10pm)Some need to stay up alittle later to sleep through. A warm drink like tea or a warm shower before bed to relax. Dim or shut the lights and settle n calm urself watching tv or closing your eyes in silence and think about something calming or happy to you…hopefully you find what works best for you. Sometimes in the beginning of detox you can only do what you can eventually it will come. Just be patient…

Martial Arts help me.

I’m of the opinion that there is very little we can do to make ourselves sleep. We can invite sleep, and do many things to make it want to accept our invitation, but the reality is that we can’t force it to happen, so we have to accept that some days we will not sleep as we would like to. If we spend too much of our time fretting about it, it’ll get in the way of actually being able to sleep.

Beyond giving your sleep all the help it can get, like with the many suggestions above, and giving it plenty of room to happen through good sleep routines and timing, just let it happen without letting the anxiety do too much overthinking on it. You can hope for the best, knowing it will eventually get sorted, but it might not happen tonight, and it doesn’t have to.