How to start?

I’ve been drinking every day since 2009 and it has gotten worse recently - about 2 bottles a night. I’ve gained 50 lbs over COVID and due to thyroid issues and my alcoholism. I was going to start today but only made it until 8. I am giving myself this Monday as my true start date. Any tips on getting through this on my own? A psychiatrist recommended outpatient rehab but I don’t know if he knows how bad it is. Has anyone here done it themselves? Any tips for making it through literally the first day? I also have terrible sleeping problems. Any advice would be appreciated!

1 Like

Welcome Sam. From what you describe it sounds like you need help. If you’re in the US, this site will give you options:

If you’re elsewhere contact your national health service and most have a list of treatment centres.

It is possible to change. Search and search and call and call and keep reaching our and never stop, and never give up. That will get you what you need. :innocent:

2 Likes

Hi Sam! Have you thought about a medical detox? Withdrawals may be challenging, and if you have the ability for a medically supervised detox, I would recommend. Have you tried to be sober in the past? There are great inpatient and outpatient options out there. I’ve done both. We are all rooting for you. Please keep checking back in.

Welcome Sammy.
I drank for 45 years. January 2 2020 is my sober date. I kind of planned it because I was turning 60 that January and I had just had enough of it.
You may need a good detox. I don’t know. I didn’t. I just knew my life with booze had become unmanageable and I was powerless over alcohol.

Here’s a thread put out awhile back. It’s got some great info on it. Have a good read around. Join in ask questions and just for today don’t drink.
The only way to look at it is One Day At A Time
It works. Advice for the Newcomer and Constant Relapser
I hope to see you around.
:pray::heart:

4 Likes

I get a little afraid of inpatient programs and judgement from my family but I have a feeling it’s what I truly need since it’s been so long. I just think of it kind of like military. But the thing. Is how would outpatient know what I do between 8-12 or how to control me then? In my heart I think I need inpatient but just don’t know what to do. I appreciate everyone’s input, I genuinely don’t know who to talk to about this honestly.

This was beautiful! It gave me so much confidence to aerial how man people posted in your page. I think I’m finally in the right community where I can speak openly and I appreciate you checking n more than you ever know. Monday’s gonna be the first day and I know it will be hard but I’m gonna give it my damnest!

1 Like

What did you do every day and how long were you there for? I’m also a little nervous about having a roommate since I’ve been having sleeping issues. They told me to go into outpatient rehab I have to be completely sober and even that has been hard for me. That you for your advice!! Much needed.

Welcome. This place is a great first step. For me, I read everything on here I could, participated as much uch as I could…eventually went to AA.

I might follow your doctora recommendations at s minimum.

Regardless, good luck on your journey. We are all here to help, reach out often.

This is exactly spot on. Gadsden said it perfectly.

Welcome Sam! I went to an outpatient detox for a week followed by an intensive outpatient program (IOP) for 12 weeks. I would get to the detox at 9am and stay until 5pm. During that time, I was given medication for the withdrawal along with group sessions throughout the day. It was the best decision I made and highly recommend it.
I couldn’t go inpatient due to my family situation and work.