How to stop

Im an alcoholic, I think my friends and family are disappointed in me and im scared. I want to stop but don’t know how my last drink was 8 hours ago.

8 Likes

Welcome! I’m Jess. I actually posted something to someone seeking similar advise and I feel like it applies to you as well. I’m not sure if I’m allowed to do this although it is mine, but I’m going to copy & paste it here for you.

You’ve taken an important step to achieving your goal. I wish I could tell you what exactly it is that initially made me stop & seek help but I’m still trying to figure that out 84 days later. I can tell you that going to a few different types of meetings and talking to some random people I felt like I related to on some level (who have now become friends and/or alys in recovery) was very helpful. Not that anyone there can magically say or do something to fix you but by going multiple times (even if its forced at first) has amazing potential to help you to recover the resources necessary for YOU to be able to overcome any obstacles that may force your hand in being or becoming someone or something you can not respect. I am glad to be part of your journey through recovery. You are not alone

4 Likes

Welcome, @Dash. You’ve already done the first thing, saying hello.

To not drink, I would suggest only two things.

1. Don’t drink anymore today, no matter what.
  2. Come back here and post again first thing tomorrow. Tell us how you feel then.

That’s it. That’s a lot of how I did my first few days, other than just reading a lot of posts here and soaking in what others shared. I had no idea what to do, so I gave up and tried what worked for them.

Glad you’ve found us, mate, and hope you’re well. :pray:

6 Likes

Welcome, Dash. Below is a link to a thread. This thread lists all kinds of resources that other members here have used to stay sober. See if any of it looks like something you’d want to try and give it a whirl.

Resources for our recovery

This forum is a great tool and there’s tons of great advice and people sharing first hand what has worked for them. Stick around, Read, and Interact. :+1:t2:

6 Likes

Thank you, I keep going hot n cold and im shaky im presuming thats because of the alcohol. So hard not having a drink but im determined this time.

2 Likes

You made the first step, you want to stop change your way of life.

You reached out, looking for support and resources that’s another step in the right direction.

I would check out the resources link provided here plus see what’s available in your home area, some may be limited due to the pandemic, also alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous I would suggest following up with your healthcare provider.

1 Like

Welcome!

Everyone here started just like you. Posting something similar…

“ My last drink was xxhrs ago. I’m afraid and disappointed with myself. Please help!”

We are here!

3 Likes

That is likely from the withdrawal. I’m almost a month sober and warm baths have been a saving Grace. Call your doctor about withdrawal symptoms, if you have one. They can be serious, but you don’t want to have to start over because you used more of the same chemical that caused it to start with. Days 1-3 were the hardest then 3-5 were better but they still sucked physically. Mineral water seems to be doing wonders for the shakes, muscle cramps and the skin crawling sensations. As well as gentle stretches, yoga, and hiking. Also chocolate, everyone here told me not to feel bad about that one. It has helped. It keeps getting better.

3 Likes

Great resources they have definitely been helpful

2 Likes

This is a great first step!!! I would recommend taking sometime and reading the posts you see. Lots of good info here.

1 Like

Hi Dash, i hope you find strength in knowing there are others who struggle. I struggle a lot. We’re here if you need! Find your “why” and keep going!

1 Like

First step is having the desire to not want to drink anymore. That is a big one.
Welcome to the group of people who all have the same desire.
Those first few hours are definitely hard. It’s almost like you are just waiting until you can sleep so you can get that first day over.
I advise people to make a list of reasons you want to quit. To many people don’t know their reasons not to pick up and drink or use.
We all have reasons to drink we just need to find our reasons not to.
As for your day and friends they will either come around and forgive you when the time comes or they won’t. That is something only they can decide.
I have friends and family who I am close with again and some who refuse to be around me. Even now 3 and a half years sober. You can’t force someone to not be disappointed in you.
I don’t know your story but I know what I was like drinking and I did a lot of bad things.

We are all here whenever you need to talk :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like