Husband and CPR

My husband overdosed on Saturday in our basement. We were fighting and then I heard a loud noise. Thank God I went to check what the noise was. It was my husband. He had overdosed and was not breathing. He was completely purple and not breathing. I started CPR and called 911. It took 911 20 minutes to get there. They administered Narcan, which saved his life. It was the worse situation that I could ever imagine. I don’t know how to cope with this situation. Now, my husband has told me that he tried to kill himself. I feel like it’s my fault because I said mean things because of his disease. That I didn’t mean. I need advice.

1 Like

I am very sorry to hear this. I would imagine it was quite terrifying, and your emotions are all over the place.

It’s not “your fault”. We are each responsible for our sobriety. Some don’t understand that suicide is a permanent, irrevocable solution to a temporary and solvable problem. Your husband is sick. He has an illness. You can support his recovery, but you can’t do it for him. He has to do it.

I pray that this is his bottom, and he chooses to climb from there.

5 Likes

Have you considered getting Narcan trained?

Wow. I am so sorry to hear you are in this position, I noticed on another post you are also currently pregnant with twins and due any day. I can not even imagine the pressure and heartache you are feeling. Girl, you can’t do this for him. NONE of this is your fault, you can not control his actions. I feel so heavy in my heart for you and those babies in this situation. How is he doing now? What is he doing now that he almost lost his life this weekend, has it impacted him at all?

2 Likes

He is still very depressed. He cannot imagine doing what he tried to do. He says he is never using heroin again. I hhope stays with his sobriety. He also says he now realizes his life is much more important than he thought. I hope this was a horrible way for him to realize his worth. Yes, I was pregnant with twins. They were delivered early at 31 weeks. They were in the Hospital for 3 weeks. It has been overwhelming to say the least. I’m just trying to keep my head above water and give it all to God.

I am thinking about it now. Weird thing is…a few days ago…I was thinking about ordering Narcan. I didn’t know he was using again.

He is home. He went to the Hospital. But, when he woke up in the ambulance, he panicked. He didn’t know where he was. He was looking for me…strangely. The Hospital let him walk out of the Hospital. Our house is walking distance from the Hospital. So, he walked home. I was on my way to the Hospital when I seen him. I thought I was hallucinating. The police came and checked on him multiple times over the week. They couldn’t believe he was alright and walked out of the Hospital. I am thinking about going to a NA meeting. I need support. Yes, the family is affecting by his choices. Thank you everyone for the advice.

2 Likes

Sounds to me he needs rehab and some one on one therapy. Quiting opiates is easier said then done and during detox will make u even more depressed…opiate wd way not kill someone but many get very suicidal from depression. This is probably something hes not going to be able to handle white knuckling thru the detox.

Have you heard of Nar-Anon (and Al-Anon)? Depending on the situation, they may also be of great help.

1 Like