I am struggling mentally , always have this time of year

Im 413 days sober and clean from drugs. I suffer major depression amd always have done from a young age. Im 33 now and it gets no easier , these early dark nights. Doom and gloom doesnt help , im really really struggling

8 Likes

AHH I am sorry you’re feeling this way, the days are dark, but remember that we’re getting 4 mins extra light per day since the winter solstice happened on Dec 21st.

I take vitamin D to try to help with the darkness, and try to get outside even if it’s grey outside it still helps.

Try to make your home comfy, try to nest, out use the dark time to do tasks that you’d put off during the summer, maybe a deep clean or rearranging to the furniture to freshen it up.

Also let your self rest, it’s ok to have downtime, it’s like hibernation and rest, you can get string as the days get longer.

4 Likes

This time of year really sucks. I am with you. Congratulations on your journey. I am new here at least 80 days new. Just know your not alone. And we are here with you! I have found seeking help and knowing you can’t do it alone was how I dealt with my anxiety.
Hope you can keep a positive look on things .

3 Likes

Sorry you are feeling like this, depression is so horrible, a friend of mine tried a heat lamp for when the winter nights come around as she hated the early dark nights, that is brilliant 413 days sober congrats

2 Likes

This time will pass, myself and others here also suffer with depression it can be so debilitating.
I purchased a SAD lamp to use and I feel it does help.

I speak regularly with my Dr, not that I feel it always helps but really small steps it is helping.

I started swimming a few months back and that has been the game changer for me really has helped so much whilst I’m living through a dark situation that is ongoing the past 2 Yrs and swimming it had helped me.

I understand how hard it is, I’m sorry your going through this. Know your not alone and there is allot of support here for you. :people_hugging:

413 days is amazing Congratulations :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I am sorry you are feeling so down. Depression is definitely hard. And dreary weather does not help. I would 2nd the SAD lamp advice. I loved mine when I loved up north. Take care of your self and glad you reached out.

413 days is amazing!!! :heart:

2 Likes

This might help

2 Likes

Thankyou so so much,i managed to do my scuba diving course and qualification whilst being sober, so im looking forward to getting out, its so hard forcing yourself to be strong especially for your kid’s, hopefully it will pass soon

3 Likes

This will not break you, and you will be stronger for it.

1 Like