I dropped the ball

Hey. I managed one week without a drink but then a bad day, a frustration at home, and an evening with my parents, and I had a few drinks.
Then we celebrated father’s day with the family and I had a few more.
And then I was back at it each night, even going to a house party on Saturday that had me drinking from lunchtime until 1am on Sunday.
Sunday was tough. I was rough. Did that stop me? Nope!
Last night (Monday) I’m drinking again and eating wrong and way too much. My productivity is down, my weight most likely up (haven’t dared to check!), and my motivation flat-lining.
I feel I should be kicking myself but I know that’ll only make me feel worse and lead to more bad habits.
I’ve neglected dropping by here and look where I am.
Addiction sucks, and although I slipped up, it’s not over yet. Today is a new day and today I take back control!

7 Likes

Time to let the slip up go. Focus on today, and reflect on the signs and triggers that led to your slip up, and work on techniques to avoid it happening again.
Did you tell your family and friends you were getting sober?

7 Likes

Thanks Nicole. I did, and they were supportive. Their support for me is unfailing; when I say I’m going to have drink they support that too! :joy::joy:
I’m not really blaming them. I chose to drink and I chose to carry on drinking on tge subsequent days. I recognise and remember its impact and now I’m ready to get back on track. I do find non-alcoholic beers and wine really helpful so I’m choosing those again from now on.
Hope you’re doing well.

5 Likes

You don’t truly “drop the ball” until you stop trying :slight_smile:

Back on the horse, friend!

3 Likes

Welcome to the relapse club! Mine were much longer and very terrifying, but they all suck. We have to make sure we learn from them. Some of the best tools I’ve learned were during my relapses.

2 Likes

I relapsed yesterday. I will reflected and will learn form it.

1 Like

I would recommend trying something different than your previous attempts. Perhaps AA

1 Like

I have thought about it. I want to stop my ways. I only drink once or sometimes twice a week. Never more than twice. I have break usually 1 or 2 weeks. Every now and then.
But this is a problem for me. I Binge drink.
I read a post about a lady from uk. She had similar problem. No one took it serious. In uk it’s not really considers a problem. As I don’t drink everyday. I think AA might not be for me and my problem. I should be able abstain. I have looked it up. One is near me.

1 Like

Pick the ball back up and keep practicing (being sober). You got this!

1 Like

AA is for anyone who has a desire to stop drinking.

2 Likes

You will find that a big portion of folks at AA drank just like you drink. I hear endless stories of people going one and two weeks without a drink. But when the do pick up again, it’s off to the races for them.
Keep trying pal. You are in the right place and asking the right questions😉

2 Likes

Relapses happen the great thing is you’ve realized you have a problem and are willing to say no to the drink and yes to sobriety!

1 Like