I feel so good... and it's concerning

I wanted to take my gab as needed. I don’t like taking meds if i can avoid it. In rehab i didn’t take the anxiety meds ask the time, only as i needed to (learned later it was just antihistamines)… the doc gave me Gabapentin to take at home… i took as needed, but then i have anxiety attacks and the gab takes time to kick in… but worse… it stacks. If i only take it once it works a little, but if i take it every 8 hours, by the 2nd or 3rd dose (taken as prescribed) … it feels so good… like I’m 6 shots in (i was doing more than 20 from 5pm to 11pm. So my tolerance was pretty high when i went into rehab). I’m afraid I’m going to get addicted to this feeling. Than what I build up a tolerance… and they have to increase it… i just want to not have anxiety… i don’t want to feel tipsy all the time (well, it feels really good, so, part of me is like, yes you do)… anyone else experience this? I feel like i don’t even deserve to be here (in this community) because even though i drank every night, and my body is going through physical withdrawal… i caught it early, before i lost much of anything. Lost a friend. My brother and sister in-law don’t come over much any more… irreparable? The friend, yes, she said not even if i quit. The in-laws, that’s fixable… but i member lost my job, house, family. I’m lucky and i know it. Sorry, rambling. Thanks for reading.

4 Likes

For me what really helps with my anxiety is a hard work out. Whatever that means for you. For me it’s running, or rather slow jogging :joy:. I absolutely hate running but I know I hate it because of how physically demanding it is for me and after a good run my body and mind are too tired for me to be anxious. I notice a huge difference before and after. It sucks to get started but once you lace up your shoes and just put one foot in front of the other it’s not too bad. Even just a brisk walk.

2 Likes

I do take a low dose anxiety/depression med, then supplement that with cognitive behavioral therapy techniques I’ve picked up. The sanvello app has been helpful to me. I also have an analog watch my grandma gave me that audibly ticks the seconds so if I’m having an acute anxiety attack I’ll sit still and focus on that sound and do box or belly breathing. Working out helps too, I do a lot of that as well. Anxiety sucks, I’m so sorry you’re struggling. :pensive:

1 Like

Seconded, running, walking and sometimes cycling calm me. One primordial part of your brain is telling you to run from something, a million years ago it was a tiger perhaps, but now it’s your own brain. And that feeling of running away successfully helps.

3 Likes

I agree with @Benwa10 and @Ian83

So many people fear their own anxiety, if you are feeling anxious then you clearly aren’t doing something your unconscious mind knows you need. Which is exercise.

2 Likes

I have always wanted to start running… and maybe in future, but I’m too weak right now (severe potassium deficiency. But great idea. I can always try working out at home.

1 Like

Makes sense. When i was trying to go cold turkey alone i took a super hot bath… simmering in my wanted the comfort and tingle from the hot water. It did help too.

I’ve never had anxiety until i went into rehab. Aparantly it’s common in alcohol detox and withdrawal. It sucks. But it makes sense, i think, because i used to drink to quiet the voices in my head (ie the stress, worry, etc).

2 Likes

I do triathlon (swim bike run) and row… and do yoga… and have a physical job — sometimes the anxiety is too much to just muscle through. I do occasional CBT, learned coping techniques for breathing, and when all else fails I have “emergency” anxiety meds (super low dose lorazepam). It doesn’t make me feel messed up, just brings me back to stable. I also take low dose lexapro daily - again no feelings from it just keeps me stable. Maybe discuss with your GP or therapist your concerns of getting addicted and see what they say. I wish you luck. Anxiety blows!!

1 Like

Thanks. I’m see him Monday. So I’m going to ask

1 Like