I fell off the wagon. Again

I was 51 when I quit drinking. I wasn’t an angry or happy drunk. I was a solo drunk. I just wanted to be left alone. Drinking wasn’t interfering with my life. Life was interfering with my drinking. Very selfish on my part, as I have a wife and daughter who needed me, and others who depended on me.

I lived on this app for my first 90 days or so. I checked it hourly, posted, commented or replied several times a day. That interaction with people, strangers who actually understood what I was going through and could offer genuine empathy was critical to my success.

Then I started taking martial arts classes. This was a game-changer for me. I was a 52 year old whitebelt determined to earn my blackbelt. I made friends. I got in great shape. I started feeling positive about myself again.

Others have suggested taking action to end self-isolation, and I agree 100%. Be active here, even when you don’t feel like it. Attend meetings, even when you’d rather stay home. Take a class on something that’s always interested you, like learning a new language, or painting…or my favorite martial arts.

But most of all, build some relationships. Real ones. Someone who you don’t want to disappoint, but doesn’t depend on you. Start there.

10 Likes

Im approaching 60 days dry , attending group and generally doing better, thankyou for asking.

10 Likes

Glad to see that you’ve got 60 days under your belt and seem to be doing better than your first post. You got this

1 Like

That’s a great report, and a relief to hear. I hope your confidence in your sobriety continues to grow.

1 Like

Thsnkyou for giving a shit. Means a lot.

2 Likes

Many of us give a shit and if we can help all the better. How are you?

3 Likes