I have to.do this

Hello. I’m new to the app and noticing more and more that I need to finally quit the drink. Its been a long time coming, but its time and I’m ready. I never considered myself the heaviest of drinkers…usually 8 beers every other day. 1 day on. 1 day off sort of thing…but its toxic and I’m noticing that I don’t feel very good physically and I want to get healthy for my daughter whose 7. I’m 36. My drinking was always done alone to escape reality so I know I have some other issues that need addressing. I know I can do this though. I quit cigarettes about 5 years ago so I know its in me. Thanks anyone that reads this.

10 Likes

@JamesT. Welcome!! Very smart to get a handle on the drinking before it gets very bad. This is a great community and you will get tons of support and information here.

1 Like

Welcome. I’m trying to quit too! It’s harder than I anticipated.

1 Like

Welcome, coming here is a great first step

This is a great realization!

1 Like

Welcome James! We all have it in us. We do need to have some knowledge and support though. For both this is a great place. Knowing we’re in it together has been the difference between failure and success for me. Hope to see you participate here James, this is such a great tool to have and use in being sober and staying that way… For some more information, let me give you the link to this thread that has a host of information about this forum and sobriety in general. I wish you all success and hope to see a lot more of you!

1 Like

The first step is admitting you are powerless over alcohol, that your life in unmanageable. No one can tell you you’re an alcoholic, except yourself. Extreme honesty with at least yourself is dire to survive. You can do this, especially with all of the support and help out there.

1 Like

Whats up James??

Thanks for sharing truly it helps all of us. One thing. You don’t HAVE to do this. You can keep on the road your on which will likely lead in despair, illness, damage, etc.

It sounds like you are at the point youre ready to start enjoying life. I had a hard time getting comfortable with that for awhile. My default was pain and sorrow and booze. If you stick with sober people they will help yoi navigate through the transition you are going to go through.

1 Like

Yeah its Friday night and I’m about to get out of work, which is a total trigger time to drink. I’m going to push through though with not giving in.

Hang in there James. We can get there together. Going to take some work but totally worth it.
Dan