I’m Adam, and I just got sober today and joined the community. (Not my first, but WILL be my last “first day”)

My name is Adam. I’m 31, just got married and had a baby this year. I’m in a rap-metal band called Dropout Kings that tours the world, has charted billboard multiple times, has had several record deals, has been considered for a Grammy nomination twice, accumulated millions of streams, and it all started with an idea that I almost didn’t follow through with. I’m an entrepreneur. I own a marketing agency called Push Digital Marketing. I’m a recent born-again believer in Jesus Christ. It’s actually crazy how supernatural god’s presence has been in my life. Especially, recently. My life is actually amazing, and I’m grateful for it. People would probably call it perfect from the outside, even.

However, something inside me just fiends for self-destruction and implosion. I’m addicted to cocaine, any adhd meds I can get my hands on, and alcohol. I’m constantly lying to my family, being deceptive and hiding things, spending way too much money on all this stuff that doesn’t serve me. I kept up a facade for a really long time that it wasn’t an issue, even though I was way less slick than I thought I was, in actuality.
Everyone really knew there was something off. I don’t know what it is inside me that never wants to be sober. Anything I can do to not be in my own mind sober, I’m gonna do it. That bothers me. I want to be better for me, my wife, and my newborn son. I just don’t know how.

But, I’m taking baby steps. I was sexually abused as a child and blocked it all out until I took a class in high school and a speaker came in and told us about symptoms of sexual abuse in adolescence and I realized I had just about every symptom. It unlocked a slew of regressed memories, and honestly that’s when I think things really went downhill. I’ve learned most victims of sexual abuse just want to feel numb. Nothing at all. I guess that’s how I feel.

I grew up poor, my parents were pretty young, but not super young. They’ve pretty much coasted through life settling for the bear minimum for the most part. We have a pretty good relationship, but I can never have a real conversation with them. They don’t really get me and they don’t really know ME or my problems. Regardless, growing up I only learned how to yell and argue and lie to get thru my problems. How to be financially irresponsible, to “man-up” and not talk about my problems, and basically how to skim thru life. That really drove me to be where I am today, Because I was going to make damn sure I didn’t end up like that. But unfortunately, it also came with being ingrained with those bad qualities still embedded in me at some level, and it’s deep-seeded.

My best friend committed suicide in 2014 and that really sent me off the deep-end. Currently, my brother is homeless addicted to fentanyl, meth, and seemingly, quite literally anything he can get his hands on. He’s never even met my son yet and that hurts because one day I know my son will ask if I had a brother, and I’ll have to say “I used to” 

My brother has caused so many issues in my family that I don’t even want to tell them I’m dealing with my own demons. I have to be the pillar of hope and strength for them.

My life is pressure. Immense pressure. The fast-paced lifestyle of the music industry, being a business owner, working for major record labels making deadlines, marketing other people’s start-up companies, managing employees, touring 6 months out of the year, all while trying to be the best husband, father, friend, sibling, and family member I can be. But I love pressure and I love a challenge. It’s what makes me feel alive, I have to always be stimulated. But, it’s such a catch22 because look at how I cope with it. 

That’s why I like stimulants. It helps me be productive. But obviously, it’s not sustainable and it’s super messed up that’s how I justify it. I’m convinced I have some sort of chemical imbalance or I actually do have adhd, or I’m bi-polar, my mood changes so much. It changed minute by minute sometimes, but that could literally be my usage. Who knows? Because I don’t. I’ve never been to a psychiatrist or s therapist, but I’m about to start both next week. I don’t want to do the 12 step program or AA or NA meetings because I literally just don’t have the time nor desire to do so I don’t think it’ll help me. From what I’ve seen it’s a lot of people substituting addictions for other addictions. That’s just my opinion. What I do think is that someone with professional knowledge like psychiatrists and therapists can give me the diagnosis mentally and/or meds if needed, and also the tools and resources to actually better myself.

I make great money, and although I do, my addictions and behaviors have greatly affected my bottom line. Which upsets me because I have a family and employees and clients and a team of music industry professionals and band-mates that truly depend on me to be in tip-top shape mentally and physically, and financial stability. I’ve been spending $125 a day minimum on cocaine alone, probably another $30 a day on alcohol for a year now. That’s $4600 a month. That’s $55k a year. Absolutely ridiculous. I hate myself for this. I’m disgusted with myself.

Anyway, enough about me. Sorry for the long post but this was actually really therapeutic to actually lay out to some strangers. Hopefully we become more acquainted. I want to learn about you guys. I want help from you guys. I want to do the same for you too.

Cheers, here’s to day 1 :melting_face::pray:

16 Likes

Hello Adam, nice to meet you and welcome to the TS family. Thanks for sharing such a big part of your story straight away. How you do your sober journey is entirely your decision, AA or not AA… some people swear by it, others have different tools and a different approach. No pressure, you will find what works for you.

Read around on here. So many different life stories and paths, and still somehow they all endet up in addiction in some form. I’m sure I’ve seen a few people from the music industry on here. Be accountable, use the daily check to share how you feel. Take part and ask if you need help.

This community is great. With people from all around the world, someone is always online and you usually don’t have to wait long for an answer or support. I hope to see you around :blush:

Greetings from cold and rainy England
:squid::umbrella:

1 Like

Welcome Adam and congratulations on marriage and the new baby. It sounds like you are ready to be here. Lots of us have chosen not to go to AA. I think you are making the right decision to see a therapist though to try and separate some of this out.

Thank you for sharing, it is great to have you here.

1 Like

Hi Adam, you have made the right decision joining this community, people here are very supportive. I’ve not done AA either and have found that this group has been sufficient in my quitting journey.
It sounds like you have had a really rough time in your life, and likely the drugs and alcohol are a way of quelling your pain. Sobriety is very hard to begin with, and you may experience withdrawals and mental distress, so do comment here for advice or support.
All the best with your first day!

1 Like

Unless your therapist or psychiatrist is another addict then all they can do is their job but I’m neither, I’m an alcoholic / addict and I can 100 % diagnose your problem, You are exactly the same as me and millions of other people and we are the only people that can truly understand you and help you. AA, NA, etc are full of people just like you who have not just changed one addiction for another instead they have changed their whole spiritual and mental perception of themselves and life through the help of others with long term sobriety and the 12 step program.
At its very basics the 12 step program is free therapy and will save you a shit load of time, money and probably your life.

If the avenues you go down don’t work out please keep open minded enough to try everything there is available to stay sober.

Ok I’m now off to check you out on you tube :slightly_smiling_face:I wish you well on your journey.

1 Like

My therapist was the main reason I was able to get sober. They have the skills to work on the underlying causes of drinking which is just a symptom - for me of anxiety and depression. And they give you the skills to use in any other disordered using that may arise.

2 Likes

That’s great to hear. :+1:

Welcome! I’m 4 days into my decision to put down alcohol which almost always leads to cocaine…

Of course, I looked up your band and wow… These lyrics are resonating with me! Wishing you the best!!!

1 Like

Welcome to the community. No need to be sorry about the length of your post. I hope this forum will be useful for you in your sobriety journey. There are a lot of stories here for you to read, a lot of advice people have given over the years, and a lot of resources people have put forward that may be useful for you. There is also a daily check in thread, if that is up your alley.