I’m starting to think that I don’t have it in me to quit

It’s like a revolving door. I’ll wake up and drink before work. Then I’ll drink when I get home. As night falls I talk myself up about how tomorrow things will be different. Then I wake up and start all over. I need to make it through this hold that drinking has on me. My daughter is 6 and growing everyday. I feel like the drinking helps my depression but I know it doesn’t. I feel like drinking will make me happy but I always end up sad. Why do I keep going back? I want to stop. I’m going to try and get through the first day. Wish me luck and blessings to all of you. How do you guys control your urges??

9 Likes

Maybe try a zoom meeting as face to face ones arnt available ,your drinking pattern is similar to what i did ,my life revolved around drinking . i thought it made me happy and strong and i coudnt see any way out ,and i woke up in morning wondering why did i do that or sometimes i forgot what i did till my wife or someone at work told me ,. i was a no hoper i thought and some doctors aswell told me that , that was along long time ago now Donny so if Scotsman like me can do it anyone can

7 Likes

Negative consequences from drinking finally gave me the will power. It took alot of them.

Coming here daily helps me stay focused.

6 Likes

Thank you I appreciate that.

1 Like

Thank you and I’m going to try and check in every day.

1 Like

One thing that actually helped me in my first few weeks if that I cut out alcohol and caffeine. I’d gotten so used to drinking and getting the buzz at night that the only thing to get me moving in the morning again was coffee. One didn’t exist without the other.
After I went three weeks caffeine and alcohol free, the urges were getting complex within me. I had to find something that would suppress my addiction. I started using energy drinks mid day. I know those aren’t very good for me but I’d rather drink those than alcohol. I guess my point is that if I was going to beat alcohol, I’d also have to shake up my rotation.
15 months sober from alcohol but I have since gone back to coffee. This worked for me and hopefully this might give you some ideas to try yourself. Everything in rthym is relative… if I’m going to replace an instrument/tool, I have to replace it with something better for me.
You can do this buddy. Don’t hesitate to chat it up with any of us… safe space to find support. We’re all here for a purpose. To find a way to get and stay sober or else the we may end up paying the ultimate price.

1 Like

Sounds like my drinking patterns. There is nothing more valuable than working with other alcoholics. Believe it or not most of us have been there, some of us will be again, we arent a judgemental lot when it comes to alcohol.

I shunned AA for a long time, but it gave me my life back. I couldn’t do it alone. Its a crazy feeling to want to drink first thing in the morning every day, but now i have tons of people who I can call and tell them that and laugh about it. Stuff i couldnt tell my family or friends.

Ya know? Its hard to have it in you alone to quit, so you may be onto something, but collectively as a group we can get you through this. I was as hopeless as they come.

1 Like

Thank you. I agree in the fact that breaking this routine is going to be the hardest part.

Very well said. I feel the same way with my daughter.

1 Like

There is a book called Change Your Thinking by Sarah Edelman which changed my life. Its not about addiction, but it explains why we feel and act the way we do. Read the book and your path on the road to sobriety will get a lot easier like it did for me.

2 Likes

Thank you I’m going to look up the book now. Maybe there is an audio version. Thank you!!

1 Like

Welcome back! I know exactly what you mean! I had these feelings a lot when I quit. Ultimately the bad consequences, loneliness, sadness, disgust and shame about myself and most importantly my two beloved kids that should never see their mom as a drunk and hangover woman made me stop. It’s hard work everyday. But you can do it. First of all you need to get rid of all alcohol at home. Think of other things to do instead of drinking. For example in the morning when you want to drink rather cuddle with your kid and spend some time with her. And every time you get the urge talk to her, play with her and be with her. You can do it!

2 Likes

There’s bound to be an audio version. The first chapter is a bit dry but stick with it, because the rest is so worth it.

1 Like

Thank you so much.

1 Like

Hope you’re doing OK so far, the one thing I’ve learnt is when that urge to drink kicks in that’s the time to get active either physically or mentally, it’s no good just sitting there thinking about how much you want a drink, it’s not too often you will win that argument left alone with yourself. New hobbies, long walks, music in the bath, exercise, I’ve just downloaded a 21 day challenge app, yeah some of it is cheesy but when I’m bored, and boredom is dangerous for us alcoholics, I do get on it to distract my mind. Drink lots of water and eat sugary food at the start. Good luck mate.

And get in an online meeting and talk about how you are feeling. Get uncomfortable to get comfortable.

1 Like

Thank you for that advise. I’m going to try that app!!

When you wake up. Do something good for yourself other than drinking. When you get home do the same. Before bed do the same. Do something you enjoy but that is good for you.

2 Likes

Sound advice buddy

1 Like