I need help with motivation

I hope this post is within the rules. Short and sweet.

What would you suggest to help keep me preoccupied and motivated during my journey to a clean life?

I’m asking because I feel alone with my struggle. I know I’m no worse off than anyone else that may be reading, but I don’t have anyone to really discuss things with in detail about it.

I’m also not asking for attention or pity, I need solid advice, maybe activities, or recommended mindset.

Thanks for using your free time to read this.

Also I’m not sure if it’s allowed, but my poison is Colombian sugar

7 Likes

Working out can be great, whether it’s weights or running. Gaming can also work well I’ve heard but I’d be careful with that because it can become an addiction

1 Like

AA, NA, SMART, Celebrate Recovery, Recovery Dharma, CA, and more I’m forgetting.

You are only as alone as you allow yourself to be.

10 Likes

I’ve been doing irregular workouts, I can use the frustration to help me pump a bit more, it’s just getting the motivation. Also I used to be a big gamer, but I’ve ruined that for myself by gaming whilst intoxicated

1 Like

Get to a meeting meet like minded people there and youl no longer be alone wish you well

3 Likes

Welcome Really :slightly_smiling_face:

I’d start here:

https://www.na.org/meetingsearch/

Keep an open mind and never give up.

3 Likes

One of my addictions was coke and I found a ton of like minded people in the rooms of AA. Once I walked into that room, I never felt alone again.

4 Likes

I’ve found a local meeting tomorrow evening, I’ll see if I can push myself to attend

10 Likes

How did it go?

My anxiety was through the roof so I didn’t go, shocker I know. I haven’t shoved it off though, it’s every week so I have a few day to try and compose myself for the next one

1 Like

Even a regular online meeting can help, u see the same faces and feel more invested. How long are u sober? I found it was good to try a different meeting if I got a little tired of one.

1 Like

This is day 2 since resetting my timer. I think online meetings sound more appealing to me

1 Like

Motivation is a feeling you have to slowly build by doing the small things that build up into bigger things. Cleaning up your place, car, putting things in order, staying on top of every day to day things. Have some semblance of order ( YOUR order) in your life. That feeling you get after completing something is motivation.

3 Likes

Hey there, congrats a day 3. Meetings only seem scary. They are a little uncomfortable at first but hey…this is not an easy thing we are doing. Push through. We are so use to taking the easy way out. Hang in there…

1 Like

In my early sobriety I enjoyed ‘speaker’ meetings, when someone talked about their journey for 20 mins. I could always find something to relate to, which made me feel less alone. That ‘me too!’ feeling made me feel less broken and strange.

1 Like

I don’t know who you are, and I’m in no better shoes than you right now, fucked - where to begin… but hopeful since way long enough and stronger now than ever (tomorrow’s me needs my help today) let’s do this together? The more people know and care the better. If either of us feels rough, reach out here… This weekend is a good time to stop, think and try, maybe that one time we’ll be thankful for one day… I’m here because I need and want to be one day and way or a goddamn other, unconditionally free and happy too… We can gladly give each other tips and encouragement as we go if you like, be strong, one day this will be the past. I’m organizing a psychologist on monday to break the status quo with something different because I have nothing to lose, why not and I know deep down I’ll always care :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

There’s a good list of online meetings here:

Online meeting resources

1 Like