I need help💔

I’m so proud I’ve made it this far being clean, and I’m never gonna turn back. My grandma just passed a month ago and I was her main caretaker. I left my job two years ago to take care of her full time. Ive been struggling so hard to find a job. I’m now losing the apartment we shared, my lights are being cut off on the 10th, I have no where to go, I don’t even have food in my house and haven’t in weeks, and I have no family left. She was all I had. I don’t know what to do. I’m just scared. I’m 26 and I shouldnt be in this position. I just wanna give up.

6 Likes

My heart goes out to you. I’m really sorry you’re in that position and very sorry for your loss. Pls get government assistance. There’s no reason you should have to go without food. See your local social services and they’ll guide you thru the process.

2 Likes

I wish I had something helpful to say but I really just wanted to tell you it’s great you came here. There are some really helpful folks here and someone will be able to help I’m sure.

I’m sorry you find yourself in this position.

1 Like

I’m sorry you’re going through tough times. I’d recommend making an appointment with DSHS and see what you programs qualify for. Also, go to your local food bank, United Way and local churches. They all will have programs available to help you.

I wish you well.

3 Likes

Yes, as @Lisa07 said social services will be able to help. You should be able to get emergency food stamps or they’ll send you to a food pantry when you can get food, and even household items like toilet paper, etc. They should also be able to help with the electric until you’re back on your feet. I’ve been there. A few different times. I feel for you, I really do, but you can get thru this. Take care of yourself. All the best :pray:

4 Likes

Seek help through your state. Maybe try dialing 311. Sometimes that’s a municipal help number. You could go to a meeting and share your situation…I know that would be hard …but you would get help. Stay close to people that are recovering.

Thank you guys so much. I’ve just never been this low before. I have plans to go to social services as soon as I have a ride or the money to ride the bus. I just feel so alone without the one person who always guided me. It feels like my half of me was ripped away. I’m a state away from any friends so I’m completely alone here, now. I really appreciate all the kind words. It really means a lot. I’m only 26 and for some reason the world seems so damn scary.

3 Likes

My wife used to work in an employment support centre attached to a community centre in our city - and it was possible to get food and help finding work, at the same place. Maybe that type of centre could help? Is there one like that in your city?

You are in a very tough spot but you have courage. You are asking for help and searching and that is the bravest thing you can do. Keep searching. Go to meetings, go to centres, talk to people. Don’t lose hope. You will be ok if you keep searching for what you need :innocent:

1 Like

You find support in the most unexpected places sometimes. Visit a food bank & share your story, maybe offer to volunteer!, talk, ask where you can go. You are not alone. Communicate & I promise - the universe has a way of helping you when you are searching.

Another good place to look is churches. It doesn’t really matter if you’re religious or not but if you are really, really stuck a lot of churches have support programs, and there are often places you can go for food and shelter. Also the people are usually kind and warm and compassionate - and that means a lot.

Thinking of you tonight. You are in a tough spot, but remember you are not alone. There is a whole world out there filled with people who are willing to help. You will find them :innocent:

1 Like

I’m not really sure. I’ll be calling around tomorrow. I’m not from here and in not sure how things work here. Hopefully I will get some information tomorrow. Transportation is my toughest issue at the moment so I’ve applied for jobs everywhere in walking distance. I just feel like I’m damned if I do and damned if I don’t. Thank you a bunch for your advice and kind words!

1 Like

Sounds good. Calling around is that first step and just reaching out I know you’ll find some options. Good luck!

Check back in with us, ok? We want to be sure you’re safe :innocent:

1 Like

Ok ok ok I worried and searched and found this stuff. I’m a worrier. But with good intentions :smile:

The Salvation Army Center of Hope in Charlotte NC is specifically for homeless women:

There are several other good looking options here:
https://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html/charlotte_short_term_housing_a.html

Urban Ministry Center - the first point of contact for the Salvation Army Women’s Shelter in Charlotte:
704-347-0278

This program has more than 200 beds available this weekend - and provides 3 meals a day - and operates all through the winter, to March 31:
https://www.urbanministrycenter.org/helping-the-homeless/ways-we-help/room-in-the-inn/

Housing support and urgent assistance is available in Charlotte by calling 2-1-1.

1 Like

Thank you so much!

1 Like

I’m looking their websites now and calling for more information tomorrow. I’m just worried is all. Getting clean along with all the stress and crap is hard and scary. I appreciate yours and everyone’s help. It means a lot. I’ll keep updating as long as I have a way and can figure things out.

2 Likes

When it rains it pours! Hang in there things will start to turn around and get better!

1 Like

Ahhh baby girl go to your local charity they can’t leave you homeless ,it’s a kick in the guts when you do all this just to be left out to dry,start phoning around before your literally on the streets but please don’t use doc this will only make everything :100: worse keep us posted IL be watching out for you .xx

Glad to hear you found them useful :innocent: Another important part of recovery is community. It gets lonely facing those cravings and empathy and understanding from others is important to making it work long term (plus they often have useful techniques to get through the tough times). Once you get yourself into a place where you have something to eat and somewhere to sleep, you should look into some meetings. They’re free.

Women for Sobriety focuses on women’s unique experiences of recovery and many women have found it made a huge difference for them:

Another good option would be Narcotics Anonymous:
https://www.na.org/meetingsearch/

And when you want to explore the many awesome resources for recovery, there is this thread curated by our own amazing @SassyRocks. She rocks:

Have a good day Alisha. Check in with us & let us know how it goes. We’re thinking of you. :hugs: :innocent:

2 Likes

Hey there…

I know things seem bleak, and you have certainly had a tough road. I am very sorry for the loss of your grandmother. I know how much that hurts.

This is a link to Oxford Houses in NC. Might rehab be an option for you, to get you some help and support as well as to be a bridge to an Oxford House?

I would start today at DSS. You can apply for EBT, emergency housing assistance, etc. Be honest with them about your wholr situation. They can help.

If you feel comfortable DM ing me your address, I am happy to look for rehab centers and/or other resources in your area.

You are going to be okay. We don’t know what that will look like yet - but you are going to be okay.

3 Likes

Can people come from Canada? I’ve never been to the Carolinas and I hear they’re beautiful.

2 Likes