I need some advice please

It’s been really hard for me to cut my attachment to alcohol. I’ll do good for a week, then start back drinking.
Please, can you tell me what you did to stop?
Sodas trigger me, and insomnia kicks in too.

9 Likes

Ever try AA? Read hear alot and reach out ask for help

3 Likes

My best advice is to don’t go it alone. Being here and actively participating helped me tremendously. Going to AA and NA helped me enormously early on. Alone it’s too hard. Together we can make it. You need support. We all need support. Find support. Online, in real life, 12 steps, Buddhist, Evidence based, whatever but find help!

7 Likes

Get support. Addiction of any kind is too tough to go it alone.

Advice for new comers and constant relapsers

:pray:t2::heart:

4 Likes

I went through some in patient treatment centers IOP, individual, group counseling. Jails, hospitals, looney bins my fair share run of the muck, takes alot to finally realize i needed help and couldnt do it my way, never worked when i quit for everyone else.

1 Like

So where should I start, zoom meetings? I can’t afford a therapy at the moment.

They have great online meetings for AA what ever your comfortable with trying, i wouldnt suggest jail that hardly worked for me.:grinning:

1 Like

In the rooms.com is one i hear alot. Just search for local AA meetings can usually find online or in person meetings, wheres you location. Pretty much anywhere anytime you can find a meeting if you need one.

3 Likes

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://aa-intergroup.org/oiaa/meetings/&ved=2ahUKEwip8JS_2oHyAhVVbc0KHTAGAwAQFjABegQIChAC&usg=AOvVaw3Pe6GK4PMSAUw6wfCZlmaW

1 Like

What have you been doing to cut that attachment?

1 Like

Im a bit slow with the technology think i have the right link

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Sodas, no outings, but then I stopped seeing friends and family and it made me depressed, I was just working and going home.

Keep busy. Distract yourself from addiction by doing something, like chores or catching up on work. Watch a good TV show or movie, take up a hobby like reading or gardening, or take a brisk walk once in a while. There’s SO MUCH more to do in life other than knock yourself out with drugs and alcohol. The more time you spend AWAY from your addiction, the better. If you spend too much time on your addiction, the more you miss out on life

3 Likes

Connecting with others who share our struggle is an important part for me, ive learned i cant isolate myself. The mind of an alcoholic is a dangerous and scary place to be, you never want to be there alone, we can all help each other through the madness.:grinning::pray:

JUST-DONT-DRINK, three words that summed it all up for me.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I need to replace my hobby

There is no easy options I’m afraid, we have to go through the cravings, live with no sleep, cry, be bored, grip on to the chair and scream but what’s on the other side is worth this temporary discomfort. You get to choose either stop now and have a little bit of pain or carry on drinking and suffer forever.

1 Like

When I first got sober I made a list of everything I wanted to do: chores, hobbies, places I wanted to see…ect. It was all the stuff I ever wanted to do but couldnt because drinking got in my way.

6 Likes

For me, it helped to really take a deep look at my relationship with alcohol.

What joy does it bring?

At first, seemed to bring great joy, but at a cost. At first the cost was paid in hangovers, then in embarrassment, then shame, then anxiety and then it was paid with my reputation, career, and marriage.

What benefits does it give?

No health benefits, that’s for sure. It is literally a carcinogenic poison. It causes far more damage than any minute health benefit it may provide.

So, alcohol doesn’t bring joy (anymore) and is damaging my health, why am I doing this? I was doing it because it was a habit and I was addicted. In order to break the habit and addiction, I had to change. Change in uncomfortable but growth is only possible through discomfort.

So how do you change? You commit to change through discomfort. You dive in to recovery 100%. You surround yourself with a sober network. And you let go of the people, places and things that make you comfortable.

6 Likes