I never thought I’d be this mom

Hi all,

I just got the call I’ve been dreading/wanting since my complete downfall.

Long story short-ish:
I think I’ve always been an anxious/depressed person and I just never addressed it and also thought it was normal. I’m now 31, with 2 beautiful kids and my second OUI under my belt in a year. I’ve never had a good relationship with alcohol. Like 8 times out of 10, I’m going to ruin it one way or another.

Anyway, I’m finally taking a step and accepting that I am powerless to alcohol. I cannot have it.

Starting Monday, I’m going to a “PHP” which I guess essentially is outpatient rehab.

Talk about anxiety… but also, I’m oddly relieved.

20 Likes

I’m happy to see you taking action! Alcoholism is sneaky, and waiting for the day it gets better is a prime behavior that we exhibit.

Blessings on your house :pray: as you begin your journey!

3 Likes

Good for you Kaitlyn! That first step is really hard but also relieving. Getting the help now is the best thing you can do for yourself and your kids. Proud of you!

3 Likes

Huge step, you should be proud of yourself. I’m sure you will feel much more of this relief you already got a taste of. :heart: Wishing you lots of strength and success!

2 Likes

That is awesome Kaitlyn. I never heard of PHP before. That is a cool middle ground. How long will you be attending?

I know everything looks really bleak in your life right now. It is hard to believe anyone when they say this is a good thing. But you have not killed anybody, you are not going to prison, and your family is supporting you through the recovery so far.

I remember the fear of going into a 90 day inpatient many years ago. And it really did suck. But i learned so much, even though I didn’t believe a lot of it at the time.

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

-Solar

4 Likes

Congratulations to you for realizing you wanted a change and help …
It’s a gift to yourself and your children.
Wishing you all success and a good acceptance of your future self, a non drinker.

2 Likes

I know it feels like the end, but actually it is the beginning. Accepting that you cannot have ANY alcohol really is the basis of all recovery. I don’t know how old your kids are, mine were nursery school age and elementary school age, old enough to remember and be deeply affected by my drinking. I was humbled by their forgiveness and trust in me. It took a bit of time, but I did get it back 100%. You can do this!

1 Like

Welcome to the community Kaitlyn
So proud of you for taking the step towards sobriety. This is a wonderful supportive community - glad that you are here with us.
This is a hard journey but it is very rewarding. We are unable to do this alone so i am grateful that you have joined us and are getting some in real life help too.

Keep just working on your journey one minute at a time and you will stack up the days before you know it. Hope to keep seeing you around here as well :hugs:

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your experience & being here. Unpacking all the boxes of things we neatly tuck away (sometimes not even realizing it), can be scary, daunting and seem impossibly messy & insanely hard.

But that little bit of relief, it will grow and grow, until one day you look back…and you realize, it grew and you grew into something you couldnt have imagined. Some steps are small, some are big, they are all WORTH IT & so are you and your babies. ALL you have to worry about (if you can remind yourseld and Im speaking to me too here!)is one day, hour, moment at a time. It can be hard, but hopefully you’ll get some relief from that too. One mom to another, I am sending you so much love & look forward to seeing your around. Xo.

1 Like