I Never Thought I'd Get Here

Hello All. First time posting. I am coming up on my 2 year sobriety date from Alcohol. I live with my partner and our 2 cats and we recently took in my cousin who has fallen on hard times(Im an only child and he has always been like a younger brother to me). When I was at my peak alcohol use I stayed with him for a little over a month when I was nearly at my breaking point, so I felt compelled to return the favor. Recently my partner confided that when I was staying with said cousin he told my partner that he didnt think Id ever be able to get sober. Now this isnt a hate post for my cousin. His opinion from back then gave me some food for thought. I myself never thought I would get sober and he had seen and participated in my alcohol consumption and was very familiar with my level of insanity when it came to alcohol. Now I sit here after just getting home from my homecare job, while contemplating what desserts to make at my other job tomorrow where I now manage the entire bakery, while also discussing logistics to get set up for yet another job. I feel a rare moment of pride in myself. I am usually a very self loathing person. But I think about all the people that never thought I would be here. The ones who held some of the most important roles in my life that beraded me and gave up on me. Treated me like trash even though I was sick. I think about them and Im very thankful for the people that are in my corner and the progress I have made. I hope everyone here struggling finds their support system and one day can sit down after a long day, contemplate their sobriety and feel relief. I sure didnt think I ever would. :peace_symbol::purple_heart:

24 Likes

Welcome Jay! You may have never thought you’d get here, but I am glad you did.

With nearly 2 years of sobriety under your belt, congrats on that by the way, what has been the most profound change?

3 Likes

Look at what you’ve achieved :tada: :muscle: We all know how hard it is, especially in the beginning. You’ve done incredibly well for yourself. Congrats on your upcoming two years :clap:

2 Likes

Glad to hear. I still struggling a little with forgiving people who treated me differently because of my drinking. Some of it I feel was deserved, some of it I feel wasn’t deserved at all. But regardless, I’m doing it for me. At least for now.

But congratulations and thank you for being here and sharing.

2 Likes

The most profound change for me wasnt really a change but a rediscovering of myself. I had not realized that I lost my entire identity to alcohol. That and regaining my health. I was not a binge drinker or a daily drinker. I was a “Im going to litterally destroy myself” drinker. Before I quit I landed myself in hospital and they told me if i didnt stop I would need a new liver in 5 year and I was having active symptoms of liver damage. Now Im the healthiest Ive been in probably nearly a decade, which I am very thankful for.

2 Likes

I also struggle with forgiveness. Its not somthing i have ever been good at. But Im a firm believer that you dont have to forgive someone if it jeapordizes your sobriety or mental health. Thank you for the congratulations and I wish you well in your own journey.

Massive congratulations, Jay! You are an inspiration. Glad you are here.:sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Welcome and congrats - 2 years is no joke!! That is seriously so inspiring, thank you for sharing :two_hearts:

1 Like

Congratulations on 2 years @Jaybirdyouslyfox :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:
It so good to hear the positive - and huge - changes in your life now…well done you awesome sober dude you!!!
:heart::v:

1 Like