I once was lost but now im found

I have 10 months sober, but its taken me 5 years to get that 10 months. 5 years! Relapse after relapse, i was tired! Tired of everything, everyone, and most of all, me. I was tired of doing the same ole shit everytime something didnt go my way. Because you know, its all about me right lol. Im self centered and selfish and i was the last person to see it. I would use thinking i was only hurting myself, but in reality, i hurt almost everyone i came in contact with! Especially friends and family! I was tired of hurting all together. Hurting people, hurting mentally and physically. And disappointing the people that loved me and wanted to see me get sober. Oh the disappointment i have causedā€¦ I would get the fuck its as soon as something didnt go my way or if something good happened, any reason to use right. Hell, it could have been a Tuesday and id found a reason to use. Hell, i didnt even need a reason, i just used to use. I used to escapeā€¦ meā€¦ I hated life and everything but i couldnt stop on my own. I would try but the thoughts always over powered me and before you know it i had it in my hand. I hated living that life, so you know whatā€¦ I changed! I once eas lost and broken! It took me 5 years to completely give everything up. Because i was a substituter. Id put down one drug and pick up alcohol and weed. I put the alcohol down and pick up the drugs. And that cycle continued for 5 years. I was one of those people that watched the show Intervention and be like ā€œim not as bad as themā€. When in reality, i was worse! My addiction spiraled out of control at 23 years old and i continued for 5 more years. So you can only imagine how bad off i was!
You name it and ive probably gone through it or something simular. Or i know someone who has gone through it.
Today i do this thing one day at a time. One hour at a time in the beginning. I go to AA meetings, dont knock it until youve gone to multiple meetings. I see a lot of people on this app relapse after relapse. Do something different! Do everything different! I had to change the people i was hanging out with, besides a few. If they didnt support me and my sobriety, i befriended them. Sounds harsh but it wasnt. Do you think theyve called to see how im doing, no! Theyd only call to invite me to party. So guess they didnt care after all. I had to change the places i was going, i couldnt keep going to bars ya know. I couldnt go over the pot head friends house in sit while they got high and i didnt. Because if i did keep going there, eventually id use! And i had to change the things i was doing. I found new hobbies or interests. I found new healthy things to do. I started doing the things i use to do, that i missed so much and didnt know it. Im realizing the things i do like and continue to stick to them. I have a routine, which helps A LOT! Routine for before and after work. Because i can hold down a full time job today. In the past, that wasnt the case.
I like to continie to post what i do to stay sober because i do see so many relapses on here. And thats ok, it happens. But if i can give someone the least bit of hope, then its been worth my time.

13 Likes

I Agree with everything you said. Congrats on 10 months! :tada:

2 Likes

Very well said! Congrats palšŸ˜

Thank you for sharing, this gave me some hope. I had just thrown myself down on the couch & started crying because Iā€™m craving alcohol so much right now. I have just started feeling better after going thru my 4th horrible withdrawal. Iā€™ve been substituting weed & I know this is not right. Iā€™m going to an AA meeting in about an hour. God please give me the courage to ask for help.

2 Likes

Weā€™ve all been lost at one point. Thank the good Lord for the strength to make the changes we need to make