I relapsed.. šŸ„ŗ

I am so angry at myself, i have had to keep resetting my sober clock because i keep relapsing with alcohol. i just want it to stop :frowning: i wish this urge would go away, iā€™m a mother my son needs a healthy mom. heā€™s only 3 and i just keep tearing myself downā€¦ what should i do? i donā€™t know if itā€™s because iā€™m going through a break up that iā€™m drinking so much ā€¦ does help numb the pain but with a cost. iā€™ve been sick stuck to my bed all day i feel horrible, any suggestions? please. i need to start somewhere, deleting the ppl associate with that drink? iā€™m really beating myself up right now

11 Likes

First of all, big big hug and welcome. Make this your last first day, k? Have you formulated a plan? Have you joined any meetings yet? Did you get any literature? Yes, stay away from triggers and any people associated with alcohol. Do other things during your normal drinking hours. Mine was in the afternoon. I watched so many new movies and got very creative in the kitchen. Remember that drinking because of a situation doesnā€™t change the situation. If the emotions are too much, see your doctor and/or a therapist. Analyze whatā€™s going in within your life and in your head. We donā€™t drink normal, we canā€™t quit normal. Big hugs and keep reaching out on your journey :heart:

12 Likes

ā€œFeeling good about ourselves is a choice. So is feeling guilty. When guilt is legitimate, it acts as a warning light, signaling that weā€™re off course. Then its purpose is finished.ā€ I read that in a book about sobriety, and it really resonated with me. Basically, donā€™t just wallow in your guilt. Use it as a catalyst for change. For me, I had to focus on all the things that suck about drinking and that I hated about my drunken self. Sounds super negative, but itā€™s what was necessary. I also had to accept that my excuses were just thatā€¦excuses. And there are no good ones. A couple of book recommendations: ā€œBottledā€ by Dana Bowman and ā€œWe Are the Luckiestā€ by Laura McKowen. Both are about alcoholism, recovery and motherhood. (Iā€™m a mom of two, 16 and 4). Really good reads. You can do this! :yellow_heart:

5 Likes

I just reset my count today. I was black out drunk last night. I started this morning hating myself until people here reminded me that hating myself for slipping doesnā€™t help me to reach my goals of sobriety. I easley forgot that I have a support system right here. We are all here for each other. We are here to lift each other up when we fall. You have this, you can do this for yourself and for your son. He does need you. I would suggest tying to find a meeting. Itā€™s a good place to start.

9 Likes

I have been in your position many times in the past. Unfortunately it was followed by many days, months and at times, years of digging that hole much deeper. We donā€™t have to stay in our addiction! We will always have this disease but there is a solution. Meetings, meetings, meetings. Many are online if you canā€™t attend in person. Also 12 steps that will give us freedom from this. It truly works. I have seen it in others and by the grace of my higher power, He is doing for me what I couldnā€™t do for myself. Break ups are hard. I just went through one but I refuse to give her and her new man power over me today. So you drank yesterday. The past is the past. You have been given the amazing gift of today. Stand up and love yourself enough that you wonā€™t drink TODAY. Thatā€™s the start to a life of freedom. Donā€™t do it for your son, your family or anyone but yourself. You are worth it! Always remember you arenā€™t alone. We must stand together and let the people here and in the rooms of AA love you until you can love yourself.

6 Likes

Welcome! This is a good first step!

You should be angry! You are worth a sober life. For me when I started to look at a couple things differently, I became sober.

First, normal drinkers go through the same crap we doā€¦but they dont destroy themselves. So, I figured it is possible!

Second, itā€™s just an urge. Why did I have to give in to it. When my leg cramps up, I dont succomb to the cramp and destroy myself. An urge, to me was just a mental ā€œcrampā€

Third, if I wanted to be sober drinking was simply not an option. I forced myself out of my comfort zone and got help. First here. It was great for 89 days. Day 90ā€¦I knew I was going to foldā€¦so I walked into AA.

6 Likes

Well for one, stop beating yourself up and love yourself! Remember to take it day by day minute by minute, try to stay busy, try replacing negative thoughts and depressing thoughts with the positive side of it. Everything has some sort of positive to it even if itā€™s negative. We all mess up, weā€™re human just donā€™t sit and dwell on it for too long. Try not to make relapse part of your recovery because if you keep telling yourself that itā€™s part of your recovery thatā€™s giving yourself the excuse to do so. But donā€™t beat yourself up if you do relapse because that will also cause the vicious circle. Also, drinking may ā€œnumb the painā€ at that moment but itā€™s only temporary and you will have to do with the problem at hand eventually, itā€™s way worse when you let everything build up until youā€™re out of control. Most of us addicts are doing just that, weā€™re running from pain and trauma and not dealing with it. Iā€™m sorry about your breakup but think of the positive of it even though itā€™s hard. Is there anything else that could be possibly causing you to drink? Any past traumas that you havenā€™t dealt with? You have to try to identify your triggers and finding tools to make it through them. Meditation, journaling, reading, staying busy are some good examples.

3 Likes

The reason I ask about past traumas is because it sounds like you were implying that you was an alcoholic before you had a breakup. Itā€™s always good to talk about the traumas youā€™re dealing with if you have someone you feel comfortable with. Breathe mamma and start day one and donā€™t be hard on yourself.

1 Like

Hello!

For me personally I drink so much when I drink because I am an alcoholic. The outside circumstances change, but my drinking doesnt.

Alcohol is cunning and powerful. Most of us can not beat it alone. It took me big changes (sounds like a bad thing, but it has been a great thing) to ā€œallow myselfā€ to be in positions to stay sober.

If I could stop I think so can you, I along with many others have been where you are and offer any help we can give.

Beat wishes you feel better soon.

2 Likes

Get back on the horse hun. Put the bat down. Youā€™re worth it.

1 Like

Welcome!

I will write more later, but I wanted to say this. I came here feeling much like you. My children were 2 and 4 at the time. I had been a drinker for over twenty-five years - at least fifteen of them alcoholically. I could not imagine an hour without thinking about alcohol, much less forever.

I finally was ready to do whatever it took to get sober. My kids deserved it. I deserved it.

For today - promise yourself that you will not drink today no matter what. Reach out here, go for a walk, take a bath, call a friendā€¦whatever it takes.
Hydrate. Eat well. Sleep.

More suggestions will come. I couldnā€™t get sober alone - and life got a lot easier when I saw that I didnā€™t have to. I needed help.

You arenā€™t aloneā€¦and you have a chance for your child to not remember you as a drunk. What a giftā€¦

2 Likes

My situation is very similar to yours and I feel your pain. last night I wanted to drink so badly after 4 days sober. I posted on this thread and people helped me through it. today, Iā€™m day 5.
Hugs to youā€¦my friend.

6 Likes