I think I need help

I work at least 40 hours a week but I need help to make more money and do more with my life. I dread going to work every day because it is such a bore. I’m getting older and I don’t see myself being very successful. Any bright ideas?

2 Likes

What do you do for work?

1 Like

I drive a forklift lol that is the extent of what I do

2 Likes

I think that sounds fun to drive a forklift. At least you are not TYPING. That truly is horrendously boring. What do you like doing?

2 Likes

I used to think so too. I’m just kind of over it I guess. Also I don’t get paid enough.

1 Like

When you envision yourself being successful, what does that look like?

The idea of success is individualy subjective and personal. What I consider successful is not what you may consider successful. It’s important to focus on what YOUR version of success is and aim for that.

So, where do you need to be for YOU to be satisfied with YOUR success?

6 Likes

I think maybe a steady flow of improvement would make me feel successful. Maybe if I felt like life was more of an adventure then it is now.

4 Likes

Sobriety opens so many doors. I changed careers when I got sober about 5 years ago and I’m getting up there in age. It was scary at first but I gave it my all and don’t regret it one bit and I’ve been quite successful. I’ve been working more hours than I originally anticipated and find balancing work and family life challenging at times but still no regrets.

Here are some tips I can offer from my experience.

1. Take the time to reflect on your skills, interests, values, and what truly motivates you. Understand what you enjoy doing and what kind of work aligns with your passions.
  2. Identify any skills or knowledge gaps between your current abilities and what your new career requires. Consider taking courses, workshops, or certifications to bridge those gaps.
  3. Build new connections within the industry or field you’re interested in.
  4. Be prepared for challenges such as financial adjustments, learning curves, or starting at a lower level.
  5. Be patient. Changing careers is a process that takes time.
  6. Keep a positive mindset and stay persistent. Stay motivated by focusing on the opportunities and growth that your new career can offer.

Best of luck!!

8 Likes

Thank you , I will be looking for some kind of course to take now.

3 Likes

Btw I started taking free classes at khan academy. Thanks for the idea, I hope to make regular improvement now​:blush::wink::blush:

8 Likes

Check out your library! They might offer free access to career advancement courses. I know my small area offers free Mango language and to NYT online. Good luck.

4 Likes

That’s awesome! Taking action to add some new skills is very rewarding.
I took some free online courses and those additional skills definitely helped me to get my current position. I figured even if I didn’t need them, I was learning something new that would eventually benefit me somehow.

4 Likes

Improvement is a good goal to have, little by little, doing things today to help you be better than you were yesterday will quickly add up.

As far as adventure goes, that is entirely up to you. Life is a choose your own adventure story, what will you choose today? Doing things, even small things, to break up the monotony of the daily grind adds a little spice to life. Maybe it’s going for a hike, visiting a museum, trying a new restaurant, or even seeing how far you can drive in a direction in a day.

The thing I’ve learned is, if you’re waiting for something to happen, life will pass you by; You have to make things happen. The best time to start making things happen was yesterday, the second best time is now.

3 Likes