I think I picked the worst possible time to quit drinking

I think I picked the worst possible time to quit drinking.

I’ve been sober for two weeks, but tomorrow is my colleague’s wedding, and there’ll be alcohol everywhere.

I know the safest option is not to drink at all. But I’m trying to be honest: I’m worried I’ll have one or two drinks, lose control, and turn one evening into a full relapse.

Has anyone been in this situation? If you did drink at an event, what helped you stop there and avoid continuing the next day?

3 Likes

Dont go then…you dont have to…Surely your sobriety right now is more important? I didnt go anywhere where alcohol would be for the first 3 months, its not alot out of your life on the big scale of things, i feel like why make things harder for yourself by being around it?

16 Likes

The best option is not to go. Say you have the flu or food poisoning. Take care of YOU. Why put yourself in a position to spoil your sobriety for a colleagues wedding.

And frankly, there will always be an excuse to drink. But in early days it really helps to avoid those occasions, until we have some stronger sobriety. This is YOUR life, make the right choice for YOU. Stay home, stay sober. Rooting for you!!

12 Likes

Congrats on the 2 weeks sober!

If you must attend why not drive and then stick to the line “I don’t drink when I drive”. Most people respect that, and if you commit publicly to it then you will be less likely to drink.

alcoholics will always find an excuse to restart drinking… trust me, I know.

6 Likes

Don’t go. Alcoholism is a disease worth calling out sick to prevent a flare up.

If you absolutely must go (which is false, but you may believe) aroive with non-alcoholic drink(s) in hand. Wash a bottle of your usual and refill it with a non-alcoholic beverage if necessary. Starting over is never guaranteed, and you are through the hardest first week’s. Don’t give it to! Fight!

And there’s always support here, before you drink. Use it. Humble voice of a bad choice

11 Likes

I just made an account to let you know that it is okay to say no, If they are your friend they will understand. I know it is a big day, but everyday of your sobriety is also a big day.

11 Likes

Another vote for don’t go. But also, there will always be something: a wedding, a bad day, a work thing. At some point, you just have to start and make a commitment to stick to it. Easier said than done, I know. :purple_heart:

7 Likes

There is no good time to stop. There is always a reason for us to drink. You’ve got 2 weeks in the books, keep it up. Your future self will thank you.

5 Likes

I love this! Truth!

1 Like

I feel like this post was meant to find me at this moment so I could tell you—I found myself in a similar situation earlier today.

I bought tickets and was slated to join my normal friend group to the yearly renaissance festival. We all had elaborate outfits bought and ready and 3 hours before the event I let 2 of my friends know that I was struggling mentally and physically since I’m still in week one. They were understanding and supportive but to be honest even if they weren’t, I know canceling was worth it and the best choice for my overall well being.

People around you shouldn’t be upset by you trying to remain accountable and do what’s best for you. You need to focus on showing up for yourself right now before you can even think about showing up for others.

You may not even owe an explanation to those around you—that’s up to you as well. :black_heart:

10 Likes

Yes. Best decision is don’t go there!. 2 weeks is huge achievement than starting from zero !

3 Likes

Definitely best to be cautious. You want some time under your belt and a clear understanding of your sobriety and a plan in place for yourself before you go anywhere near places that trigger you or tempt you.

I’m 40 days in back from a relapse of 2 years, after nearly 2 years sober. I have definitely been around folks that were drinking but it’s a bit different because I have been in that position before so I know myself and I have my plan I’m working in sobriety. I actually read something in my AA literature that when you get more comfortable and settled in your sobriety I have found has really made it more easy for me to discern which situations are okay for me to be in:

Basically it says we have to ask ourselves what is our purpose for attending an event? Are we going with a positive purpose to actually contribute something good to the event? Or are we just going with no purpose and exposing ourselves to a situation with something we are powerless over?

Again, this is not me saying you should go, I definitely think you probably want some more time under your belt. But when you get to the point you’re ready to start venturing out socially in sobriety that’s a good mindset to approach events with.

Case in point I play baseball on a men’s league team on Sundays. Half the team drinks and half doesn’t. When I started my sobriety I told them I was taking time off to focus on health and needed a break, which is not a lie by the way! My friends reached out and deeply missed me around and left me an open ended invite to come and go as I pleased this season. After I hit 30 days and reflecting on my plan and what I’d learned in AA so far, I decided to play one game just to see how I felt.

I went in with a clear plan to stick tight with the sober side of the team, focus on enjoying playing the game, and positively contribute to the event by playing my best, which I had a hell of a day by the way. I also knew right after the game the booze circle would form in the parking lot, but the sober guys leave rather promptly and no one gives them shit for it. With that in mind I had my plan, stuck to it, and enjoyed myself peacefully and left the ballpark without even stopping to think about taking a drink.

Even with my prior time being sober, which I’ve had multiple stints of pretty solid time, this was a risk I took but I knew to have a plan and I knew my purpose for going. I haven’t been back since, I don’t want to rush back into that environment regularly every week, but I now know my plan based in the principles of AA works for me mostly because I really want the freedom to go anywhere and do anything I want without taking a drink.

Sorry for the lengthy post but just figured it was worth sharing a little more in depth about how I approach these things. If I was brand new to sobriety I definitely wouldn’t have any shame not putting myself in situations if I was worried about giving in and drinking.

3 Likes

Talk to your friend tell him bout your journey if you feel safe to and have him line you up with water and maby some cider. A real friend will support you. If not stay home. Your sobriety is important. To you and all of us.

3 Likes

Personally, I agree with @Jwfletcher4792 and @Jimyrign76 . Ask yourself if you really need to go. If you feel like the answer is yes, then definitely have a plan before you go. It could look something like this…

Meditate on your sobriety in the morning. Write down your priority to remain sober and why you want to stay sober. Just writing it down on paper can help it stick in your brain for the rest of the day. If you have time, catch an AA meeting before you go. You can do that online to save time, if necessary. Take deep breaths when you arrive to help calm your nervous system. Take your own “drinks”. It can be water, mocktails, whatever…just not alcohol. Ditch out early if need be. Stay encouraged above all else. But again, if you don’t have to go, then don’t.

5 Likes