I told some friends I quit drinking!

My first post here was two days ago and I asked how was for people to tell their friends they quit drinking? A few people replied and what they said helped me to make my mind in starting to tell my friends. I’ll share here what happened:

I’ve poked my closest friends and said to them: ‘I’m writing this to let you know that I’ve decided to quit drinking. I don’t know if forever or not, but atm this is what I want to do in my life. I was thinking about this for a while and now I feel like it’s the time to really do it. I got tired of losing days on hangover and I feel like I’m lacking energy to enjoy other aspects of my life. I might change a bit during the process, but… I hope to never lose your friendship because of that… I can still be fun when I’m sober’’

I’ve poked 8 friends… ALL of them were supportive!! VERY supportive! And surprise, in fact… 4 of them don’t drink at all for ages already and I totally forgot that! They were proud of my decision and said so many nice things, such as: ‘You will see how awesome your life will become!’.

I wanted to share this with you all to point out that:

1. Friends that are real friends will support you and be proud of your decision
  2. You might find out (or remember) friends that also quit - you just never noticed or forgot
  3. If your friends don’t act like that, question yourself about their friendship - and be the one who choses not having them around, don’t wait for them to decide

I haven’t told my family yet, but that’s a next step <3

I’ll keep sharing these steps here hihi have a great day/afternoon/eve everyone!

12 Likes

Well done. This is a great feeling when we get support like that.
What we need to remember is that more often than not the only person who has anxiety about this is ourselves.
Most other people don’t care. Real mates will be pleased for you and everyone else doesn’t matter.
Both my family and the few close friends I told were very receptive.
All other people I meet just know me as a non drinker.
It’s not their business, but if they were to ask me I would gladly tell them why.
Well done you.:facepunch:

2 Likes

Good for you! That’s really exciting that you have so much support. I hope your family will be just as supportive as your friends.

1 Like

Thanksss :blush::blue_heart: I hope my family is supportive too. My dad and my brother drink a lot in events (same as I did), so I’m scared they will make me feel bad for my decision or make hurtful jokes… I guess I’ll them once I complete a month… and until then seek therapy to learn how to deal with my feelings in case I don’t feel supported by them

I live abroad, so my entire family is in another continent

Awesome! I’m so glad that all of them supported you. I would have done the same thing. Be patient and you will start looking at how your life changes amazingly! Take on new hobbies or, in my case,the gym . We are all happy for you and expect you to reach a long time without drinking :slight_smile: that’s all I can say. I hope it helps. I have been clean for 4 years and 2 months.

2 Likes

That’s such a huge step towards sobriety and being accountable, congratulations! Our sobriety should never be a secret to those that we are close to. Well done and how awesome that they’re supportive of you :clap: :grinning:.

2 Likes