I’ve been back and forth with my alcohol use my entire life

When I was 15 I started using alcohol to numb, then it turned into the norm and at 37 I’ve had many moments of self destruction fueled by my drinking where I’ve ruined relationships, caused issues with my career and just overall ended up hating myself.

It’s been a cycle that has had its fair share of ups and downs and I’ve decided I’m truly tired of it. As someone who strives for consistency, my alcohol use has always been a severe gamble with mainly shame filled outcomes. So I’m here to say hello and here’s to my day 1. :clap:

17 Likes

Welcome and congrats on making a healthy change!!

4 Likes

Hey @SkeeballChampian , it’s awesome that you’re here! This place is full of people who have been where you are, and being part of this community has made allllll the difference in my sobriety. I felt like a failure for not being able to just willpower my way through addiction; it turns out I needed community.

Are you doing anything to help set yourself up for sobriety? Those first few days are full of our brains lying to us.

Stick around and read around!

6 Likes

I made my house dry yesterday and beyond that I’m just trying to stay busy. Tips are welcome and appreciated!

5 Likes

thank you! I’m looking forward to post withdrawal cus as of now my hands shake and I feel drained. I know over time I’ll feel the positive affects of quitting though! :clap:

4 Likes

Here’s to your Day 1, indeed! :100::raising_hands:

I appreciate you for commenting here in the community. And, for sure, I’m excited for you to begin your sober journey in earnest.

This is a great place to share what’s going on with you, and to read around for your own encouragement.

We believe in you…

You got this!

2 Likes

It is exhausting at the beginning. But it really does get better if we stick with it.

4 Likes

Just my two cents, but the next few days will be rough. Plan ahead for that. Find things to distract you, make a habit of checking in here, eat lots of sweets if you can, and don’t listen to your addict brain, which will be working hard to lie to you.

We’re here for you!

6 Likes

Welcome! We’re all seeking the sober life here, so glad you are joining us.

5 Likes

Welcome and glad you’re starting your journey. It’s a really tough thing to open up about and ask for help so you took a big first step. Interesting how you mentioned your alcohol use was a gamble. It got me thinking. The gamble seems to be whether a drinking time will result in a shame filled night of bad things happening or a good time that’s nothing more than that. For the alcoholic though this isn’t even a gamble though, it’s a guarantee. Eventually it will happen. I always suggest checking out an AA meeting, but as long as you’re working a program that’s good for you that’s the main thing. Just a day at a time. Wishing you the best. Keep reaching out

3 Likes

Hey, just joining im here. Set my day 1 for tmrw and I think some community might help me. You go! Let’s send here a msg each sober day to support each other!

3 Likes

Welcome to the community…

I’m excited for you about getting started tomorrow - you can do it!

This community is a great place to share and to get support; try to check in often.

1 Like