I want to stop

Hi everyone,

Just seeking a bit of guidance. I’m stuck in this endless drinking pattern that I’ve developed and I want it to end so badly. These last two years I’ve drank every single night. Once 7pm hits I’ll drink 4 or 5 tall cans (6 pack on occasions), regret it, fall asleep, wake up, repeat. Its destroyed my mind beyond explanation. I can’t focus on anything throughout my day anymore. I want help but I don’t know where to start.

5 Likes

Welcome. This is a great first step. You will find a lot of support here. I had a 25 year drinking career, 22 yrs of that I “tried” to quit. There are a lot of programs out there to help. I do AA and it has been a huge part of why I havent picked up.

3 Likes

Hi and welcome.
You have come to a good place to start. There is lots of advice and experience on this forum.
Have a search for topics, read any threads that look interesting, don’t be put off by some.
If you can’t find what you’re looking for, don’t be afraid to ask. Everybody is happy to help.
There are many tools that are available such as AA, SMART, therapy. Blogs, books.
And people on here have given their experience regarding them.
It starts with you making the decision to stop then using whatever you feel works for you. Have a look around, read as much information as you can and try to make a plan to guide you through.

1 Like

Maybe start at a meeting they will help you wish you well

1 Like

Sounds right up my alley, once upon a time. Reaching out was a great start already; you sure aren’t alone. There’s us, there’s meetings.

What also helped a lot in my first weeks was writing it out. Why do you want to stop?

I put it to paper. What I was losing to drinking, every day? Real sleep, focus, the friends and family I slipped away/hid from, my health, any sense of hope. What could I have again if I just stayed sober? The strength and clarity to regain those things for a start, maybe discover more. Turns out there was, Moe. So much more.

I’d say grab a pen and paper. Write that down now, all of the pains drinking’s brought and what you could find instead. And when the urge strikes, pull it out and give it a good, hard read.

Mine’s a constant reminder there just ain’t anything good waiting for me in a bottle.

3 Likes

I isolated myself for the first 5 days. Didn’t to out anywhere. Sat on my computer and just did random stuff. It was brutal. I was restless, anxious, angry and the only thing I could think of was alcohol. On the 5th day I googled a psychiatrist with good reviews and went to see him. He prescribed meds which really helped. It’s been 14 days now. It is getting easier. The first few days are the toughest. If you can get through them, you will be fine. Best of luck.

Welcome! You took the first step so congrats! @anon12657779 pretty much nailed it on some great tips to start! Glad you are here!:blush:

1 Like