I was doing so well

Well I’m almost 48 hours into sobriety. Again.

I just don’t know why I seem to sabotage myself and take my relationships for granted. I missed meetings and just ignored the signs that I was already relapsing even though I hadn’t taken a drink yet.

I really want this. I want to be better. :frowning::frowning::frowning::frowning:

5 Likes

Well just reset and put one foot in front of the other. I’ve wanted sobriety for the last 6 years I’ve been clean and I’ve fell off a lot! I was doing great had 120 days and relapsed on my 120! I’m almost 104 days today and feel so much better about it this time around. Anything is possible and you can do anything if you put in the work! Keep your head up and try to learn from what and why, and though I know how frustrating it is we all fall… We’re only human. Have a great day and good luck!

5 Likes

You got this, go into it with a fresh positive mind set. My 5th day, its so hard, i want a Sculpin IPA so bad!!! But thats the little devil in my head telling me that i can drink like a gentleman, but in reality i cant. You can overcome this, pay attention to triggers and red flags.we beleive 8n you.

3 Likes

Thanks y’all it’s frustrating I had 13 days and decided to get drunk the night before thanksgiving. Then the night after I drove drunk and wrecked a 2nd vehicle my hubby was trying to pay for. Idk what the deal is or why I can’t just get over it. It’s killing me.

2 Likes

The thing I’ve learned the hard way is getting sober is much more than not drinking. It takes a lot of work to undo all the pickling and truly enjoy being sober. Have you read any books, been to a therapist, anything like that?

1 Like

What type of program are you working?

2 Likes

None of us know the day it’s gonna happen, that moment of true belief in ourselves and the acceptance it’s gonna be hard and do it anyway. but that day will never come if we don’t keep trying. It’s great you managed to get some sober days behind you now just get a few more, if it goes wrong again tuff shit and then add a few more but never stop believing in yourself.

3 Likes

Well the good news is it sounds like you can see in hindsight what went wrong. Get back to the meetings, learn from this and don’t give up. You say you want to be better… Well, don’t just want it. Do it. Do the work. Make some changes. Fight for yourself & your sobriety. You’re worth fighting for!

2 Likes

hi, bethany! you’ve really got to be an active participant in your recovery. i do believe if you want sobriety to stick, it will. get to a meeting, the gym, visit family, etc when you have a desire to drink.

3 Likes

If a doctor told you that you were in the early stages of a potentially terminal disease, but there was a way to enter permanent remission if you focused your time and energy on it, what would you do?

Would you reorder your life, placing your health front and center? Would you seek every bit of knowledge about the disease, so as to better confront it, and ultimately defeat it? Would you forego people, places, and things that detracted from, or otherwise impeded your progress? What if your doctor told you that it could be as simple as not doing one thing, that would bring about this remission, but doing it would take a tremendous amount of will?

Well I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. I didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. What I am is an alcoholic who became a non-drinker, and I have been in remission for 2 years. I did this by saying “no” to the drink that matters…the first drink, and by saying “no” to the hardest person for me to say “no” to: Me.

I won’t drink because I don’t drink. I am a non-drinker. As long as I remain such, my disease will remain in remission. You can do this as well, if you really want to.

2 Likes

You said it missed meetings ignored the signs ,so maybe get a sponsor and phone numbers so you can lift the phone desire and effort and maybe a different mind set this time thats if you really want this, get a good sober foundation (program) round you so yo have a defence against relapes wish you well

1 Like