I wonder if this is normal

Some days (most days) I’m like "yes!! I’m doing it, ima clean, cook, read my bible be happy, take care of my child, just ready to spread positivity and love all over the world. Then there’s days like this where I don’t want to get off the couch! still no urge to drink tho. Just completely lazy lack of energy I don’t know if it’s because of that time of the month or I’m just emotional I have no ideal.

2 Likes

You are pretty early days, right? I think I remember seeing that somewhere. The ups and downs are INCREDIBLY common for the first few month, and are especially bad in the first few weeks. Throw a pandemic and lack of social expression or contact on top, well, now no one can keep their moods stable. AND PMS! Yup, all normal, girl.

Welcome to our lives! :laughing:

It gets better though, I promise.

4 Likes

I feel the same way at almost 7 months. There’s days I just don’t wanna do anything but sit on the couch and that’s ok. I’m sure many people without addiction issues feel the same as us. I think this is all part of being “normal”. We can’t expect every day is going to be great. I say just go with the flow and if your body and mind tell you to rest then do it. There’s no shame in having down days.

5 Likes

:joy::joy: oh goodness

2 Likes

Thank you so much @Lisa07 this really helped. Like it really did. Thank u

2 Likes

I think we all feel kinda Blah these days.

Wifey and I were just texting each other about this today. How we both just feel unmotivated to exist some days. No drive. No ambition. Just, Meh.

Why is this?? Shit I don’t know. Everything I guess. Fear of the unknowns is high

All I can do is
Trust God
Clean house
And hopefully help another alcoholic :wink:

3 Likes

I fully understand that feeling. I’m over two years sober and I still feel this way. I’ve realized after some time, that a lot of it is natural. Especially as women. We are cyclical creatures. Every month we go through huge hormonal changes that ABSOLUTEY affect our mood and energy level. Problem before was that I was too busy jumpin up on tables pumped full of whiskey and cocaine to notice the gentle ebb and flow of energy in my body :joy:
The single best thing that we can do for our bodies is listen to them…honor them and put into them the very best food and water we can. Ok…I know that’s three things😂 but…I still think they’re important!

Congratulations on another day of sobriety. You are kicking ass!:heart:

2 Likes

@Gabe.G I couldn’t agree more

@ELY83 oh this was gold ( as I type still on the couch) thank u so much. Yeah I decided to take it EZ. Sometimes I feel like I have to push myself to make changes. But in reality I forget sometimes that my body does have a mind of its own and it’s okay to rest for a day especially being this time of the month. Long as I get off the couch long enough to feed my daughter I play with her I think I’ll be fine. It’s not depression I don’t think my body just really is sore and cramped

1 Like

One of the most important things I learned in early recovery is to listen to my body. People basically had to smack me upside the head with it! The thing is, we are so used to the hustle of addiction. Gotta act like we are fine, gotta make money, gotta go piss it all away on drugs and alcohol, gotta pretend we are enjoying it (especially for ourselves). Gotta get up in the morning and do it all again. We NEVER listened to our bodies. Learning to listen to our bodies is hard! Non addicts learned to do this naturally, they (generally) do it all the time. We have to learn this basic thing, then grow to trust it. We have to learn, or relearn, so many basic things. But, it’s all a “normal” part of the process.

Yeah, unmotivated to exist is a great was to describe it. I’m definitely struggling with it hard right now. But, as different as things may end up being, this too shall end. Just wish I knew when or how.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Words I’m living every minute by.

I can only speak for my experience. (I’m only 54 days sober). But in my process of getting and being sober I had to face my emotions and moods. Before I would just drink my happy juice (champagne or chardonnay) and everything would be great and I had all the energy I needed.
I have to admit I miss those happy times. But I dont miss all the negative that went with it. (The money spent, the weight gain, the lies…).
Hang in there. You’re going to alright. You’ve got this.
Hugs

Preach on brother! Nice to see ya!