Identity question

I drank to excess for 15 years. I’ve got 418 days free from alcohol which I am happy about. However, I don’t feel the cravings much at all anymore and it feels like my achievement isn’t real because it isn’t difficult.

I know I had a problem because of ruined relationships, risk taking, and poor work performance due to hangovers. But my doubts tell me the problems weren’t that big a deal and, therefore, my conquering them isn’t that big a deal. Anybody feel like this?

7 Likes

Congrats on 418 days that is alot of days and a great achievement :fireworks::sparkler:
Your achievement is very real, when I have felt like this I had to recognise what I thought were doubts were my addiction trying to get a hold of me again.
Telling myself things weren’t that bad, If I can get this far and this easily maybe I don’t have a problem kinda thinking. Of course I was having selective thinking and forgetting about all the reasons I gave up all the situations that were just caused by alcohol.

It got me in the end and I can tell you my experience was within 2 weeks it was like I’d never been sober and everyrhing was so quickly go down hill.
Don’t let it trick you :people_hugging:
Glad your reaching out.
:sunflower:

:sunflower:

6 Likes

What the lady before me said is spot on. Cravings diminish over time for sure but the disease didn’t go away (had a problem). There’s only alcoholism, not alcoholwasm.

Are you doing anything with other sober people to reinforce your sobriety? I know it helps, we don’t do this walk alone.

2 Likes