If you fail to plan, you plan to fail

Hi Jay here. I have been unable to get even 24 hrs under my belt for months. But I will not give up, i will not surrender! Every night I go to bed drunk and oblivious, tasks and responsibilities piling up at home, time lost that I could be bonding with my son. In the morning I detest myself, yet I try to keep positive and believe I can beat this. All day I read quotes,read everyone success stories, listen to motivational speec

Once the thought kicks in or the bewitching hour comes around I give in immediately. I know I dont want to drink and that I am a happier more efficient person without it, yet I desire to just not feel myself. I have decided I am worthy of love and loving myself, I am worthy of friends, success and happiness. But it starts with me. I have misused the last 15 years of my life hating, comparing and berating myself.
I HAVE HAD ENOUGH!

So this is my plan:
:heavy_check_mark:check in here in the mornings and evenings
:heavy_check_mark:take a different route home from work and stay as late as I can so the liquor store will be closed. Also no cash, no debit card.
:heavy_check_mark:no more self hate thoughts, I will turn every negative talk into a positive about myself
:heavy_check_mark:I will have a plan and schedule for my days off with my son
:heavy_check_mark:finish reading Rational Recovery
:heavy_check_mark:if the desire comes I will not acknowledge it as my desire but that of healthy animal body that has been deprived of a poison it got used to.
:heavy_check_mark:I will take a bath, nap, or go for a power walk.

I will no longer accept the desire to drink as my own but that of a healthy animal body that has been getting poisoned unknowingly and now I take back control and will no longer poison it or give in to it.

Thank you for always listening and taking me back sober friends!

17 Likes

Thank you @Mephistopheles! I also have given up the belief that I can drink moderately or that I TRULY have any desire at all to drink. It’s a habit with physical, financial, emotional, etc., consequences. I will not drink again. As you said, no first drink, no problems.

If we can do that, everything else has a solution

Sounds like you have a solid plan, that’s awesome. Stay strong.

1 Like

My 375ml of brandy also cost me 6.00 dollars. But really its was costing me my life!

1 Like

Thank you! @Island-Girl

Your bottom shelf was expensive! Lol.

2 Likes

Yeah no doubt. When people talk about having 1, I think 1 fifth.

3 Likes

If you’re open to suggestions, for the turning negatives into positives piece I would suggest writing out some positives and sticking them in your wallet. Recovery is hard, when I got into that negative space about myself I needed to to have something physical to turn to.

1 Like

@CaptAZ same for me here. I have no limits with alcohol. And when I drink I have no limits with anything else.

1 Like

I am open to suggestions! Thank you @anon62920945! I will do this but instead of my wallet I will take a picture and make it my phone background. (I rarely go in my wallet)

Lol. I’ll get right on to lobbying for that. The 750ml was the little bottle, for when I was really broke. Otherwise I liked to buy the handle for $10

1 Like

Sounds good, this old guy just went to meetings met loads of people who understood my problem but if it going to keep you sober i wish you well . my main drink was vodka i used to go to several shops and after afew months i got a tick book going owed alot of shop owners then i moved to another area lol

2 Likes

Stay strong. I need these reminders as well, that the desire to drink is actually irrational and fraught with negative consequences. You can do it! We all can.

1 Like

I can relate to that, the need to replace the thought that drinking will lead to something positive. I made that mistake almost daily for about 17 years despite learning the hard way the next morning every time.

1 Like