Ignore the soot and the resurrection becomes meaningless TW loss of a loved one

I have taken myself back countless times to Daniel and I’s first meeting, May 28th, 2011. I had just turned twenty-one a few months prior. My best friend and I were dancing on a table and fell off in our drunken, ridiculous stupor. I remember a hand reaching down and as I looked up I seen the most beautiful, cocky grin looking back down at me. It belonged to Daniel Brown. A twenty five year old man who at that point had been fighting addiction for seven years already. Though looking at his perfect, beautiful little grin, you’d never know. I certainly didn’t. I reached back and well, that’s where the story of us begins.

I’m not quite sure what I believe since losing Daniel, except that the Bible is a very tricky document. I haven’t got a clue where or what eternity actually is. I do think that sometimes he is with me though, like I can feel him around me but I can not see him. I feel already in just the fifteen months he’s been gone, there are things about him that have already faded from memory. No matter how tightly I’ve held on. Just recently I realized I’ve forgotten what it feels like to kiss him. Something so simple. I stared at his picture trying to will myself to remember but for the life of me, I cannot. It is true what they say about grief, you do learn to live it. Find a way to carry it, day in and day out. Sometimes it feels crazy that I carry the amount of grief I do daily. I have come to learn the important stuff stays though. It lingers with us. It’s a part of us. We are no longer the same without them and that’s okay. That’s how it’s suppose to be. Because honestly, would we really want to be?

I do not know any of your worlds. We all have very different reasons for why our journey down griefs treacherous road began. Some of us knew this road was coming while others, myself included, were blindsided by it. I do not presume I can say anything that will reach any of you, as I’m just a small town girl writing about death online. Yet looking at all I’ve put out there these last fifteen months I suppose it’s not really been about death at all, it’s about life. There may be those who do not understand my pain, I’m thankful they don’t. I can only offer up my own experiences, in hopes it can help open up the conversation about addiction and show the humanity behind the addict. The beauty in the addict. In hopes of changing the road for someone, somewhere.

There is a flicker of hope that comes alive when I remember where I’ve come from, what I’ve come through and that surprising myself even, I’ve chosen to live for me. Pausing as I look back reflecting on it all. Taking a moment in an act of witnessing, of paying homage to a version of myself that I no longer recognize. That version of myself that died as I became the person I am now. The person who, though I may have risen like a Phoenix, cannot forget the ashes of loss in which I rose from. Because if I ignore the soot, the resurrection is meaningless.

7 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss. I don’t know much about that kind of grief, but I do know a little bit about the Bible, and I just wanted to say Jesus loves you! I don’t know what your background is or if you’ve read the Bible much, or been to church, but I hope you’ll give it another chance. I wish I had some sorta verse to share that would be comforting or encouraging, but I can’t think of one, and it might come off as a meaningless platitude anyway. What I will say, is while I haven’t experienced the death of anyone that close to me before, I’ve been through a lot of pain, despair, aloneness, heartache, and suffering, and Jesus saved me and rescued me. :heart: Oh and I take that other statement back, God just placed this on my heart to share with you.

‭‭Matthew‬ ‭11:28‭-‬30‬
"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

I wish you the best, and I’ll be praying for you.

1 Like

I was raised Apostolic Pentecostal. The very core of my beliefs have been shaken since the lose of Daniel. I’ve been taught my entire life God was merciful and Just though right now he doesn’t seem like either of those things. Yet Jeremiah 20:9 “Then I said, I will not make mention of him, nor speak any more in his name. But his word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay.” Seems to ring true even in this seemingly dark place I’ve been in.

1 Like

Yeah, I can understand that. I was raised in church but it never stuck, my step dad was really abusive and a hypocrite. I started to believe a few years ago, during a really incredibly awful, difficult time in my life, and the horrible things happening to me just kept happening and now, about 3 years later I finally escaped from the people and situations that were hurting me, well mostly anyway, but I’m so broken and damaged, and all that to say I really struggle with believing in God’s mercy as well.

‭‭Philippians‬ ‭3:13‭-‬16‬ ‭ESV‬‬
Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you. Only let us hold true to what we have attained.

I’m really trying to do that, but yeah, it’s difficult.

Hopefully maybe this will encourage you.

‭‭John‬ ‭16:33‬ ‭ESV‬‬
I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.

Anyway you’re not alone. Things will get better. I’d love to talk more if you want. Private message me if you feel like it, it would help me out too, I don’t have any friends, especially not that share my faith right now.