I'm an alcoholic?

Hi I’m new here my name is Gino, I wanted to share my story and maybe get some advice in staying sober.

I’m 21 years old. I started drinking a beer or two beer on a daily basis when I was 16. The past 6 months I have drinking 10-15 beers a day. Had some rough times and I thought it could help but I have an answer to that and that’s no. Trying to quit has been difficult. My daily routine was getting out of bed for school At 7am no breakfast om just one beer and than had of to school cause otherwise I felt like I couldn’t be myself. I always had one in my backpack in a case of emergency. If I came home around 6pm I immediately start drinking and would drink till I fell asleep. And that for a few years. So You could say I’m possibly a problematic drinker. Now I have finally managed to not drink alcohol for 4 days and it feels like hell. But I know it’s the best decision to stop. Does anyone have any advice, tips to help staying sober?

11 Likes

Start going to AA! I believe it will help. I go to AA then directly to the gym right after. Our situation is different but that’s what has helped me so far. You got this!! Pray every time your having a bad day or situation he will help you I promise.

4 Likes

Hi Gino,

Really well done on staying sober for 4 days and beginning the great adventure that is sobriety. There is loads of advice on this site and elsewhere, eg.

Resources for our recovery

Explore this site using the magnifying glass at the top of the screen. Different things work for different people but as long as we have the reason and the determination we will reap the benefits. Best wishes, and stick around. :pray:

4 Likes

Hi Gino, welcome to the forum.
Well done on 4 days its an amazing achievement :clap:
You’ve made a great choice to quit and coming on here is definitely a good help. It’s helped me tremendously in my first week

3 Likes

Get into a program of recovery probably AA do everything they tell you to do yes baby you are one of us but your life doesn’t have to be like some of ours. You have the chance to fix this here and now! Yes its hard but do what they say baby and save your life no one can say you are an addict or alcoholic that is a determination we each make for ourselves but look at the similarities not the differences we were once where you are …there are a lot of alcholoics anonymous meetings on zoom get on there look the ids up online get a sponsor and work the 12 steps that will set you free

3 Likes

Thanks for the support and information, it helps me a lot🙏

Thanks for the advice, it will definitely help me to Prepare for what’s comming and a way to sobriety. Thanks for listening and I always thought I was alone🙏

1 Like

I wanted to go to the AA meeting this evening in town but it’s canceled because of the covid_19. Didn’t know there where meetings on zoom. I’m Gonna try it out right away.

2 Likes

6 Likes

My pattern was very similar to yours except it carried on till i was in my 50’s every day the same. I stopped for a day or 2 but never longer and that was only after a hangover.
I stopped drinking one day as i was really feeling grim everyday and was hungover. For me i did not need to find a name for what i had being putting myself through, i was just a pisshead who loved getting drunk. It was really not important if i was an alcoholic or not.
If you wondering if you a pisscat, you proberly are and will benefit by quitting, i did although about 30 years to late snd actually wasted many of my good years

2 Likes

No one, absolutely no one can ultimately diagnose you as an alcoholic, it’s a self diagnosis. But getting input from other people as to what might be your problem does help.

You seem to be losing control over your drinking, but how unmanageable your life is as a direct result of your drinking is something you really need to confront.

If you are considering AA , I need to let you know that the 12 steps of AA are not for the faint of heart. It proposes changes in perception, thinking and behavior that most people would consider it to be very extreme and/or drastic.

There’s a book called " 12 steps and 12 traditions " that sums up the program and the mindset that’s almost always required to do AA.

" Who wishes to be rigorously honest and tolerant? Who wants to confess his faults to another and make restitution for harm done? Who cares anything about a Higher Power, let alone meditation and prayer? Who wants to sacrifice time and energy in trying to carry A.A.’s message to the next sufferer?

No, the average alcoholic, self-centered in the extreme, doesn’t care for this prospect—unless he has to do these things in order to stay alive himself."

3 Likes

My doctors were pretty convinced I was an alcoholic :joy:. Many medical professionals all steered me towards AA and here I am a few years later and still sober

3 Likes

Yeah, but they have cookies and coffee.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your story and that’s why I quit. I know it was infecting different aspects of my life, relationships , friendship and I failed for almost everything in school. These 8 days of no alcohol have been horrible but we keep going for the purpose.