I quit opioids which I thought was the hard part 2 years ago.. I never think about them and I would never do them again.. unfortunately I can’t stop drinking.. every night it’s the same f****** thing.. this whole weekend I laid in bed and could not get up and it’s because I’m pretty sure I’m on my way out.. is there anyone who can say anything that might inspire me to stop poisoning myself everyday?
Did you forget this convo?
https://talkingsober.com/t/i-quit-opioids-np-2-yrs-clean/210745?u=starlight14
I dont mean that in any sort of negative way i just know when we talked you were under the influence and may have genuinely blacked it out, if your just back looking for different advice thats absolutely ok too so long as you get the help you need xx
Welcome back! It is a vicious cycle. It is much easier to start the plan and stick with it during the day. At night we tend to relax and let our addiction do its convincing.
First thing is to clear your space if possible. Or at least ask whoever you are living with to keep it out of sight for you. You don’t need that temptation.
Lean on this community, go to meetings (online or in person) and just do whatever it takes to not pick up a drink. Don’t think of the long term. Just for today you will not drink.
The inspiration/ motivation has to come from within. Only you can silence that addict voice and put in the work to divert your thinking. I am glad you call it poison. You already know how dangerous it is. You already know it’s a slow death. You deserve to live and be healthy. Small inspirational notes around can help you frame a positive mind. (I am worthy, I deserve to be healthy, I am sober, I can resist the urges, I will wake up hangover free tomorrow. Etc).
Keep showing up for yourself. Keep putting in the work… knowing that once you get past day one you won’t have to repeat that again. The urges don’t last…but sobriety does ![]()
Join us on the check in thread as it gets way more traffic…you’ll get some support and a lot of great posts to read that can be inspiring.
I went through the cycle of saying I’d quit then just about the third sometimes maybe fourth day, I’d do it all over again. That went on for the past two years almost religiously. I was lucky if I could make it past the third day. Finally, it reached the point where I was doing things I know were putting my entire life and family at risk and I dragged my ass to a meeting and gave it a shot. 35 days later today I’m hangin in there and working my plan in peace most days and staying sober. I’m with @JazzyS find a meeting and give it a shot, I know it changed my whole approach to sobriety and made it way more manageable.
Addiction is addiction. What I have learned is that the substance itself doesn’t matter. The addict mindset will keep trying to do other stuff even if you have quit what was your main drug of choice. Try an AA meeting, listen, and let everyone know that you’re new. That’s my suggestion. Get to work. Don’t think about it too much. Keep in contact with forums like this and people in person who want to help you. If you need medical attention to detox, please do that properly. Sobriety is worth it. Keep that in your head. You can do it if you work for it
Life is long ![]()
Building relationships take streighth especially rebuliding relationships.
When it comes to rebuilding, i always had to bite my toung and just continously say “ok” or other thing according to our convo
Its not easy to rebuild a relationship
1st one who you need to rebuild with?
.. YOU ..
you need to be kind to you.
You need to be gentle with you
Your bar of life is ready to be raised because you feel ready for more, until it needs to be readjust by yourself again.
Sobriety is the perfect start to all of this.
I stop opiates in 2021 and it was hard as well. About a year ago I started drinking out of control got my 1st dui. Went to detox for 1 week and I thought I was good. But 6 months later I was drinking again. So I stopped drinking with the help of Acamprosate medication and signed up for a residential 90 day program and I been clean 120 now. I’m home. Doing well. Stay busy get work and don’t stop. Go to the gym and workout. Good luck.