Im feeling worse health wise than when i was drinking?

Can anyone give me any tips ,im 1 months 20 days sober no urges to drink ,but im losing weight fast have no appetite, getting no more than 6 hrs sleep, ive got constant slight headaches no energy, ive had my bloods done and they said everything is fine ,im taking alot of vitamins to try and get a bit of energy back ,im not sure whats wrong ,it could be that im in some sort of menopause phase as i never even noticed my periods stop when i was drinking only had 1 since October and i was always regular (48) any tips on getting something to help with energy and these headaches there getting me down

2 Likes

Have you seen your blood test results?

Normal ranges are not the same as optimum. E.g. ferritin (iron storage), normal range can start at 14 but under 30 is classed as iron deficient. Also some things don’t always show up on blood test results e.g. if you have been taking B12 supplements the levels will be normal or high, it doesn’t necessarily mean no issues there.

So if your blood tests come back normal then it doesn’t necessarily mean no issues. Ask for a printout of your results and learn how to interpret them. Iron (ferritin), B12 and vitamin D deficiencies have a lot of cross over symptoms. I believe some thyroid stuff too although not something I’ve looked into.

Of course hormones and menopause can add another dimension into that mix… I’m not at that point yet so don’t know much about it.

It can be difficult and frustrating having to always advocate for yourself but there are lots of resources out there.

Check out this thread as a good place to post and discuss some of these things :hugs:

2 Likes

Thankyou i will check it out and go back to the doctors if things dont improve soon

2 Likes

Hi, I’m in Scotland too!
You say your bloods are “fine” but I wonder if there could still be some deficiencies at play. I wonder if it would be possible to analyse the results further.
Also, I would say that it’s still early days in some regards. You’re probably doing a lot of emotional and mental work that will be taking it’s toll on your energy levels. Be very kind and gentle with yourself. Rest as much as you can. I use meditation podcasts and an acupuncture mat as many times a day as feels good.
I have also found counselling to be useful in the past.
You’re doing great, well done.

3 Likes

It took me 3+ months to start getting my energy back. I too had headache and I slept poorly. Sometimes it takes time to heal from drinking. Your body is readjusting.

Regarding headache, when was the last time you got your eyesight checked?

3 Likes