I'm glad Ive found myself here

Hello everyone, I’m 21 and I realized I’m heavily dependent on some sort of substance be it alcohol, weed or cigarettes to get through the day, especially nights. I thought about being sober for the month of December just to challenge myself, but after lurking through the posts in this forum I realized what I really want is to be sober for the rest of my life. I’m really scared of how I will manage the tough days, the parties since I’m still in uni and everyone I know drinks/smokes. I love you all :slight_smile:

21 Likes

@muzing Welcome to the group! We’re here for you! It’s totally possible and YOU can do it!! :muscle:t3::muscle:t3::muscle:t3:

2 Likes

Thank you so much :facepunch:

Congratulations on making the best decision of your life take it dsy by day minute by the minute if there your real friends they will suppourt you sobreity tends to push away the people you do need to stay and vanishes the ones that need to go on tough days dont worry theyll come but when they do you will manage dont focus on the tough days just think about why you started

2 Likes

Hi and welcome.

Good decision! and this is a start of a new beginning. There are lots of great folks on this site so have a nose around using the magnifying glass at the top and keep posting. Other resources are:
https://talkingsober.com/t/resources-for-our-recovery/52812
Best wishes for your new life and I look forward to seeing you around here. :pray: :heart:

1 Like

Welcome :blush: glad to see you here, hope to see you around

1 Like

Welcome!! 🙋

1 Like

Thank you, that’s great advice :blush:

1 Like

Hello, I will do my best to regularly check in and post updates, just a little busy at the moment because of med school. Just went through the resources and some of them have really piqued my interest. Thank you :blush:

1 Like

Of course were all here to help each other out

1 Like

Being sober and clean is a choice made by you not your uni friends…

Practice the words ‘no thanks!’
You don’t have to miss out because your not drinking, learn to enjoy yourself without a substance it can be done I promise :slight_smile:.

Remind yourself everyday that your worth it, you mean something to someone and they like you sober!

I wish you the best on this journey, enjoy what life has to offer sober !

3 Likes

Welcome. I’m glad you are here, and decided to make your presence known.

That’s the funny thing about positive improvement…small, successful steps lead to wanting to take bigger steps. You’ve decided to be better. Now you are a little better. Keep getting better at getting better, each and every day. Better today than you were yesterday and tomorrow better still.

2 Likes

You’re absolutely right. I haven’t met anyone this month so haven’t really come into situations where I was offered anything. All of this will be a brand new experience for me and I’m looking forward to saying no hahah
Thank you for your kind words :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yes, improvement is very hard to notice when you keep looking everyday, but I’m sure if I stick to my plans I will be in a better place someday. I feel grateful in being part of this very wholesome community.

1 Like

Hi welcome! Well done on deciding to take this journey, I’m so pleased you’re here with us :pray:t2::two_hearts:

1 Like

Welcome to the group! I’m also new. You can do this :slight_smile: One day at a time.

1 Like

Thank you, we’re doing it today, tomorrow will follow on its own :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, this is a great little spot on the internet :heart:

1 Like

Exactly!! You got this love

Welcome! I’m so happy you found us.
Thinking about long term sobriety can be a really hard pill to swallow. Just think about it one day at a time as in “I’m not going to drink today.” Then worry about tomorrow when it gets here. As far as parties and being offered substances, remember “No” is a complete sentence. You don’t owe anyone an explanation. You mentioned med school, that’s awesome. You have your whole life ahead of you and if you commit to sobriety now, it’s going to be a wonderful successful life. Wishing you the best on your journey.

2 Likes