I'm new to the group. I just wanted to say Hi

My name is Thea and today is my second day sober. It’s been really had to maintain consistent sobriety. They say that if you want it bad enough you’ll do anything. How do I make myself want it?

18 Likes

Welcome Thea :wave:t2: :innocent:

You wouldn’t be here on Talking Sober if you didn’t want it :innocent: I think the question is more likely “What’s keeping me stuck in the mud?” Basically, what is this hole I’ve dug for myself in my addiction? I want out. But because I’ve made this my life for so many years, I don’t know how to not be here. I never learned, or I forgot, how to not be stuck.

It’s a process that is always one day at a time. Recovery is not a light switch that you flip it on and you’re recovered. It’s a cultivating thing, it’s like growing a garden:

• First you decide this is what I’m doing - I’m planting a garden.
  • Then you say, one step at a time, first I need to learn about how to grow plants.
  • To learn, you find people who know. These people are in groups like www.NA.org, www.AA.org, www.InTheRooms.com, Online meeting resources, here on Talking Sober, and other recovery groups and recovery communities.
  • You go to these groups and listen with an open mind. Then you take one step at a time. And you keep going back, you keep connected, and you communicate, so that the “addict voice” (the voice that keeps you silent and hiding in your addiction) is defused before it can take control.
  • The changes you make, the learning, is the plants in the garden. You plant these changes and care for them, help them grow. You have a beautiful garden, whether it’s one plant or a hundred, because it’s your plant, your growth.

It’s a change process and it’s about learning about yourself, and learning new ways of thinking and acting.

Welcome to Talking Sober! :innocent:

6 Likes

Hi I am new to the group as well

7 Likes

Hi and good morning

3 Likes

Welcome Rita! :innocent: :wave:t2: It’s nice to meet you. Welcome to Talking Sober :innocent:

3 Likes

Welcome!! The Welcome Thread has a lot of options for you to read thru and thread links that may be of interest.

3 Likes

Hi Thea it’s my second day too! If you spend some time thinking/journaling on what your life will be like sober (especially the great things that can happen) and what your life would be like if you continued to use (especially the shitty things that will likely happen) that helps a lot. Also imagine all the obstacles that will tempt you to relapse, and imagine yourself facing those powerfully and staying sober, and how proud and accomplished you will feel after that…. These things really help! I quit smoking 20 years ago using these tactics and now I’m using the same things for total sobriety. You seriously can do it!!

10 Likes

Welcome! Start by being active here… you will find so much advice.

2 Likes

Welcome! Connecting to community and other sober people is so important. Be active here and read through here when you can. Also, remembering what your drug of choice (for me, alcohol) has cost you, how it feels when you hit the lows, and envisioning what you really want from life help me. Also, if you have access to therapy that has been a life saver for me. Be curious about your hobbies and how you can fill time you used to spend using- try some new things out! We’re here for all you newcomers!

4 Likes

Welcome :hugs:

It’s great you have joined us, together we are stronger and together we are not alone :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Welcome Thea. You already want it or you wouldn’t be here. This is a journey not a destination. Take a breath feel the inbreath feel the outbreath. Take it slow and easy. You got this. One day at a time. See you around. .

2 Likes

Welcome :hugs::sunflower:

2 Likes

How are you doing @thea? @Lyricazelea ?

3 Likes

I’m doing great! Well feeling kind of shitty but that’s to be expected. Feeling super committed. Thanks for checking in :blush:

2 Likes

Hi tea. I’m new here too 2days clean.

1 Like