I'm scared for this weekend and my sobriety

It’s my week to be paid this coming Friday. Of course I will be happy to have money. But us alcoholics know it can be a bad thing. Don’t get me wrong I pay all my bills. But anything I have left it sure as heck all goes to liquor. There hasn’t been a pay yet that not one cent didn’t go to booze. I want to save and spend my money on better things for me and my daughter, and i want to make it over a week sober. How can I stay strong? Friday night alone and I’m paid… ahhhh beer is calling for me

1 Like

Come hang out with us! I hereby put you in charge of getting this thread going this Friday: Friday Thread #2. :grin:

6 Likes

I just had my first weekend. A family party at a restaurant around a lot of alcohol. I ate and ate bread sticks appetizers my whole meal. Something I never do because I don’t want to soak up any alcohol. I noticed after I ate the urge passed and I went to bed sober. When I drink I rarely eat I was happy to enjoy food. Try eating during the witching hour. Around 5 or 6. And eat a lot!

10 Likes

Payday was always the worst for me…to the point that I’d go out Thursday night before payday, and stay out until my paycheck dropped at 2:15 a.m. Friday morning…it’s a vicious thing, and it’s definitely not worth it.

Stay strong, and best of luck.

3 Likes

I don’t know if this is goofy but I’ve been buying myself treats with the money I save from not drinking. Which even in just two weeks is a lot! I track my savings on that Quit Drinking app then buy myself something when I hit $50. Could you make a plan to treat yourself Friday to something you and your daughter would enjoy together? But I send good mojo your way, you can do it! And I hope I can too.

3 Likes

I was in the same boat. This past weekend was my 2nd sober. I try to keep myself busy (cleaning, house projects, etc). Friday was my night to just relax. Made myself a nice dinner, read a book while listening to music. Saturday I decided to grab blinds to hang up and actually went to a concert (stayed strong and just had diet pop).

All the while I kept jumping on here to read and stay the course. Making such a dramatic lifestyle change isnt going to be easy. You’ll have to keep reminding yourself to stay the course and not give in to temptation. Do whatever is necessary to stay sober. And to add a little incentive for yourself; I myself averaged about $25 a day on booze. So far in 15 days I’ve saved about $350 that would have gone to booze. So, keep track of the money you save and treat yourself after say 6 months to do/get whatever you’ve had your eye on (new outfits, vacation, etc). That kind of incentive will act as a sort of motivation to stay sober.

4 Likes

Lol okay will do!! I’ll think of something good

1 Like

I actually have noticed now I am eating alot since I am off the liquor. Like my body is always hungry. Before though I wasn’t eating properly. It would be one meal a day, not even sometimes. Meals were replaced with booze. It helped me stay skinny. Eating does help. I’ll need to start the gym soon though lol

3 Likes

Thank you! I plan on redoing my basement. So I’m going to put some money and effort into that. My sober project

Great idea! I’m going to plan a playdate with my friend and her son on Saturday. Keep the whole weekend busy and sober

How about taking yourself and your daughter to the movies Friday night? Or Saturday, or both? You have to start replacing addictive behavior with healthier habits. Like coming here too.

1 Like

All great ideas :slight_smile: thank you

It’s so nice to see you have such a different outlook this time around! Keep up the good work :+1:t4:

1 Like

Hi Kels, my addiction is different but actually in the sense of “time is money” I think it is similar in some ways. For me, weekends are hard. Lots of free, unstructured time; alone at times. It’s a perfect combination for addiction :neutral_face:

First: I hear you. That is a lonely, scary feeling. I hear you calling for support. I hear how much you want to grow and live and be the self you want to be.

I am still working my recovery day by day at this point, but the successes I’ve had - and there have been some really good ones! - are coming from taking the time to swim in my emotions and thoughts, and reflect on them, process them, with supportive people. Just that social connection, that sense of shared experience - I don’t know what it is exactly but some days that is the only thing that has kept me afloat!

Last week I filled my calendar with at least one recovery meeting a day. A couple of days I left work at lunch & came back afterward. It feels unfamiliar - meetings have never been a big part of my life - but as I move forward in my recovery they’re playing a bigger and bigger role. That connection means so much.

I’m thinking of you Kels. We’re thinking of you. You are worthy, you matter, you’re a good person. You want this. Trust your heart here. Reflect on what you can do to keep yourself safe. Bring your kids if you need to! Whatever you do - even if you decide just to hang out at the ball pit at IKEA :joy: Whatever you choose, you have nothing to be ashamed of.

Wishing you safety and peace. Take care friend :innocent:

2 Likes

Sounds fun and smart… Have a great weekend, all 4 of you!

1 Like

Don’t know how you get paid but is there someone you can either give your money or your bank card to. Just to get over the weekend?
I don’t know your situation, but it would get temptations out of the way at least for this first time.

1 Like

One thing I do is mentally budget all that money that I would’ve spent on booze and go do something fun. Like if you go to see that movie with your daughter, spend extra on all the treats, anything you want or she wants. Normally I would’ve withheld that extra money in the back of my mind for booze. Now the floodgates are open, give me all the cool stuff. (and let’s face it, sometimes the only reason to go see a movie in the theaters because of the popcorn LOL)

1 Like

I began eating a lot too. I assumed I would lose weight when I stopped drinking but I gained and my counselor asked: do you eat more? And, my answer: now I actually eat. Also, being alone is the absolute hardest time for myself so I can relate. Things I have done to keep myself busy…a good book (if you enjoy reading) I found some really great memoirs about people overcoming addictions- alcoholics- that I would love to share if you’re interested. Also, I paint and sew and clean-clean-clean. So far, these have worked for me but there have been moments that I just want a nice cold vodka spritzer or few shots and I just do my damnedest to find something to distract those thoughts. Car rides and good music help too. Sing it out I call it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Remember,not drinking is more important than gaining a few pounds in the early stages.
NETFLIX and your favorite junk food in the whole would make a good fri night😁

2 Likes

Be a geek like me and do some online gaming :nerd_face:

1 Like